Friday, December 12, 2014

[Avid-L2] Resolve vs AMA Transcode?

 

After playing around with Resolve this week to transcode some ProResHQ LogC Raw files from an Arri Amira camera and seeing that it transcodes markedly faster than an ama link and transcode in Avid I'm wondering what the downside to adopting that as a standard file based workflow.  After setting Resolve to use a reel number based on the file name that came through into Avid as a tape name with no human reentry of data necessary.  We constantly have issues with relinking our file based material and I'm thinking getting the automatically generated tape name and a faster transcode makes more sense than the Avid ama transcode.  We do huge multigroups so we have to transcode to something.  The one downside would be creating all new full rez media then transcoding to 10:1 for offline in Avid.  I don't see Resolve supporting 10:1 SD media, perhaps I'm missing something there.  I suppose DNX 36 might be comprable to 10:1 for the big multigroups.

I know that an ama link transcode maintains a lot of metadata that I assume would be lost in the Resolve transcode, or would it.  I see the extra storage needs for the original high rez transcode as a negative but probably doable step.  Curious what others think.  The 96 fps transcode and automatic tape name addition of the file name are very attractive in our workflows.  I'm not a fan of complicating workflows but this seems promising.
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment