Saturday, October 18, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] cataloging app for files on numerous drives

 

thanks Mike


This might be the app I originally used, but I'll look in to it.


On Oct 18, 2014, at 12:46 PM, "'Mikeparsons.tv' mikeparsons.tv@gmail.com [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


On 19 Oct, 2014, at 12:21 am, "'steve4lists@veralith.com' steve4lists@veralith.com [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Confession time: I am a bad bad boy.

I have a TON of those crappy USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt drives in my office with absolutely NO rhyme or reason to what is on them. Some date back to probably 2002.

I have a 12T NAS. I have a 12T RAID. I also have a bunch of loose SATA drives that used to be internal drives in various computers.

What I need is an app (PC or Mac, I don't care) to catalog every single drive and cross-check for exact duplicates without all of the drives being plugged in at once.

I'd guess that I have 40 USB drives with anywhere between 500M and 3T of data on them and probably another dozen SATA internals that are filled with whatever was on them when I took them out of the computer.

How do I make sense of this chaos? I did attempt this once before with some free software, but I wasn't happy with the interface or dupe detection.

As far as computers to accomplish the goal, I have an G4, a PowerPC G5, A latest gen dual quad G5, an IBM that was used to run a circa 2000 Symphony, an HP of about 2004 vintage, and a Z800 HP from about three years ago. (also all with various media and files in them.)

Steve



__._,_.___

Posted by: "steve4lists@veralith.com" <steve4lists@veralith.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment