Friday, October 24, 2014

[Avid-L2] Video Noise/ RF interference? [2 Attachments]

 

I had a QC note of Video noise on a couple of shots.  The same camera had several other shots in the scene but only two were noted.  When I looked at the flagged shots I see a forward slash like banding that comes and goes in the shots much like RF interference.  I put a slight blur on the shot and an unsharp mask BCC on just the face which slightly softened the banding.  It was far from a perfect fix but it was on the source tapes so not much I could do.  When I talked to the QC engineer he asked if I'd used DNR.  I assume that's digital noise reduction and told him no but I didn't think this type RF like interference would benefit from noise reduction.  He agreed but I was kind of getting the impression he was trying to sell me on some form of noise reduction they may have at the QC house.  I'm haven't had a chance to work much with noise reduction plugins or play around with it in Resolve, I forget if the free version supports noise reduction.  I think initially it didn't but that had changed at some point along with the node limitations.  Curious what plugins others have found useful.  These shots aren't critical imagery so my fix passed QC after talking with them but I'd like to increase my tool set for future issues. 

Also 60 Hz. hum goes top to bottom and this RF like interference is more of a forward slash orientation of banding.  I would assume the approximate frequency of the interference can be deduce by the width of the banding and it's angle.  Anybody got any experience playing RF or other kind of interference detective?  I envision someone with an antenna mounted on their hat roaming the set searching for possible emf noise sources.  Kinda like the Ghost Hunters on looking for the ghost of video interference.  I'm attaching a jpeg ot the shot flagged with and without noise in case that gives someone a clue.
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___
View attachments on the web

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
No Noise 1261917Blr.jpg With Noise 1262206 copyBlr.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment