Sunday, September 14, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Resolve Scaling Video level on Transcoding Phantom .cine files to DNX 440X when Resolve was set for DNX 220X?

 

I had thought I had found the secret sauce in the video monitoring section to determine the color space as video or Data.  It definitely makes a difference on my ext. scope.  In video mode 0 to 1023 shows up as 16-235 and in data mode it shows up with -50mV black and 780mV white or so, I didn't make a precise measurement.  Basically the difference between RGB and 601_709 color space.  The final solution was to run in video mode and let everything go full swing on the Resolve scopes.  The soft LUT I used set to 64-940 ended up with washed out Avid media like importing 601_709 as RGB.  It seems that even though my external scope showed it correctly 16-235 0 to 700mV the baked Avid media files didn't come out right.  I assume the proper settings are to set the video monitoring to the desired end result files as it seem to effect more than just the video monitoring, but I may be confused about this.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <rogershuff@...> wrote :

If you send kosher 16-235 or 64-940 bars to Resolve they always show as 0-1023 on the Res scopes. Not helpful. Spoke to a BM guy today and he couldn't really see the problem. I do, as do you, I think.

 With best wishes,
Roger Shufflebottom
+44 7973 543660

On 12 Sep 2014, at 08:32, "John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

So I set the Resolve monitor to get DATA not Video levels and it tracked properly on my external scope to the Resolve internal scopes.  Now when I look at the resulting files the levels are like importing at RGB levels but with 709 level media, blacks are high and whites are low.  I'm not sure why the avid media is DNX 440X either.  My first test was 1090P 29.97 and that came out as DNX 220X.  Then I decided to see what a 1080i export would be like from these seemingly progressive files.  Both times with and without LUT I end up with DNX 440X media.  I double checked and the selection in the delivery settings only list 220X as the highest value.  Where does the DNX 440X baked media get it's orders from.  Am I missing a setup option.  Why does 1080P behave target media wise but 1080i doesn't?

Now I'm no Resolve person but I sure figured that if I see the same values on the internal scopes and my external scope things were playing nice.  First I found that 0 to 1023 on Resolve scopes was showing as 0 to 700 mV on my Tek scope.  Changing the monitoring settings to DATA and not Video levels got the Tek Scope reading the over and undershoots like I would expect for levels below 64 and above 940.  Now I cook the files and it's like the Resolve scaled the values up to video levels like I was seeing when my video monitor setting were video levels.  Is Resolve sneaking behind my back trying to protect me from sending out illegal levels by scaling 0-1023 to 64-940?  I put on my custon LUT to do that inside the Resolve so I thought the true data levels on the Avid media would be correct in Avid 709 world.  I'm enjoying the challenge but I've about had as much enjoyment as I can stand.  If this were linear I'd already be done.
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment