Friday, August 15, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Most popular editing software

 

---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <steve4lists@...> wrote :"I know that in reality, it shouldn't matter to a small production company like mine about those statistics when I'm deciding on editing software, but "little people" definitely want to be playing with the same toys as the "big boys."I realize just because my work environment in Hollywood with a ton of reality, documentary etc... is for the most part Avid doesn't mean the rest of the country is the same but I would say it should matter to even smaller companies.  Avid just works in my world with the least amount of hassles in a collaborative be it factory approach.  So if it works there why not work it in a smaller environment.  Just because your small doesn't mean you want to hassle with media management issues etc and if you have to collaborate with another facility there's an established universally understood work flow.  Of course there are always glitches on any system but the years of experience on Avid have smoothed out most of the kinks.  Sure other systems will work and Adobe suite can handle most everything but there are just fewer issues in an Avid work flow than anything else I've heard of.  Now if the price difference is too great for someone then all I can say is you get what you pay for and if the proven and reliable system isn't worth a little extra to someone they just don't look at things the way I do.I do agree that it would be interesting to have a similar study in the US market although even if Avid wasn't such a clear leader it wouldn't change my desire to work on it for the foreseeable future.  Now it a US study indicate there was a ton of linear bays I might consider jumping back on a big ass GVG switcher with a big machine room and engineering support along with a danish cart.  Wait I never had a danish cart, never mind!!!

---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <steve4lists@...> wrote :
As someone on the CML pointed out, the sample size for this came from only 100 respondents in the UK.
I wish they'd do something like this with a larger sample size in the US. Heck, if Avid had a PR or marketing department, it would be a VERY good use of money to hire an independent company - or a publisher - to conduct a similar, better survey in the US. The drug companies do this all the time. They hire a company to do medical research and then publish the results when they support their drug.
To show the preponderance of Avid in "real" media would really help support Avid's case. So many people I talk to just don't understand that Avid is IT. There really aren't that many true editing solutions any more for editing a major feature film (or even an indie) or a scripted TV show.
I was shocked when I talked to someone in Avid's "PR" department that they had NO IDEA how many movies or TV shows were cut on Avid last year. I understand that they can't know ALL of them, but they don't even have a list of the Emmy nominees or the Oscar nominees or the major Hollywood releases or primetime TV shows that are edited on Avid. NO CLUE! Shouldn't Avid have a list of the big productions? I started to compile a list of just the award winners and it wasn't easy to do. Avid should be able to say "90% of the feature films (screened on more than 500 theaters) are cut on Avid. 80% of the Oscar winners for Best editing for the last decade were edited on Avid. 100% of the Emmy-winning scripted comedies and dramas were edited on Avid." ???
I know that in reality, it shouldn't matter to a small production company like mine about those statistics when I'm deciding on editing software, but "little people" definitely want to be playing with the same toys as the "big boys."
Steve
On Aug 15, 2014, at 4:10 PM, oliverpeters@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Wow. Even tossed a bone to the DS crowd ;-)

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Did you Know?
Learn all about uploading Files and notifying members


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment