Sunday, August 24, 2014

[Avid-L2] Bin Corruption of some sort leads to master clips changing length and overlapping?

 

I had a strange one Friday with a 23.98 project shot on alexa.  I had already done a full length version of the show and then went back to make the TV shortened cut down.  The AE took the offline sequence cut in DNX36 from transcodes done in the field by the DIT with a LUT for the Arri Log files.  The DIT also made DNX175X media with no LUT.  Just like the long version the transcoded media had been given Tape Names by the AE.  When he tried to relink the media not all the clips would link and the shots were off.

I pulled the DNX 175 media folder and rebuilt the database and dragged it into a bin.  The resulting clips showed 8 ish minute overlaps and when I loaded the clips the 24 frame time code was skipping frames much like the 30 frame time code skips in a 24 NTSC project. When I checked the offline media the clips didn't have the overlap.  When I compared first and last frames from the DNX175X and DNX36 media they matched.  Finally I created a new project and the problem still existed.  I then took the backup media drive and did the same steps only this time the DNX 175 media had no overlaps and was correct.  Then when I opened the bin I'd been have problems with it over wrote the metadata in the bin that was working and the back up media clips showed the same error.  I quit out and redid the process without opening the original problem bin and things worked.  I took the master media drive home and made a new project and did the same media database drag into the bin and the clips were correct. 

I tried to break it by changing various project types and rebuilding data bases but nothing duplicated the error.  Anybody ever seen an issue like this.  It's like the project or bin got corrupted and was counting the 24 frame code like it was 30 frame code and skipping frames on the TC1 counter.  We got it working but would like to know what metadata/format corruption happened and how to avoid in the future.
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Yahoo Groups
Did you Know?
Learn about creating and deleting Groups Tables


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment