Saturday, July 12, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] QC Quote of the day

 

Yeah but QuickTime 7 at 1:1 pixels on a monitor capable of showing greater resolution than 1920x1080 is reliable and accurate. That's why I suggested it, since you're seeing the full active picture area without any over/under scanning or cropping or bezel interference.

I understand how scopes work and use them all the time in my work. But for this specific type of checking, you need to see exactly where the boundary ends, and while the scope can measure beyond the active picture boundary, there's no easy determination or fine enough resolution to know reliably where that is, unless you have a giant scope monitor that can show scale lines reliably enough to match your vision. All of that headache is avoided with the QT method. Or use AfterEffects, same result. I only suggested QT7 because pretty much everyone has this available or can get it available on a Mac with high enough screen resolution.


On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Dennis Degan DennyD1@verizon.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 


On Jul 11, 2014, at 11:17 PM, Mark Spano wrote:

> As far as what they're calling 'blanking', I've had people cite this when they actually mean 'active picture area', in other words, everything inside the 1920x1080 bounds.  This can be hard to spot, especially on monitors that have black bevels, since what you're looking for is a line or two of black around the edge.

I offered:

> That's what 'scopes are for.  A waveform scope will accurately show you what is part of the picture and what is not.

On Jul 12, 2014, at 2:05 PM, bigfish@pacbell.net wrote:

> Yes they will but do you know of an exact spec like the old composite days?  I can look at Y in a two line display and measure from end of active picture to start of active picture.  I'm curious why I've not seen an exact number for this duration.  Perhaps I've mis interpreted the things I've heard.

I respond:

I honestly can't answer that one either. Part of the reason might be related to the fact that since everything is digital now, there's no actual duration for the sync pulses. Heck, there ARE no actual sync pulses! That info is all in the data stream now.
So, you look at a waveform scope of the digital Y signal and try to find where the picture starts and ends. That's the best I can do . . . ;) But it's got to be more reliable and accurate than going by a picture monitor. Monitors can vary, each one from the next.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York



__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment