Saturday, July 19, 2014

[Avid-L2] Heads Up on Version 8 dongle upgrade

 

When I missed the 15 day window to upgrade to Ver. 7 with the ability to upgrade to V. 8 when it came out the next suggestion was just get a support contract for the year and I could run V. 7.  I didn't read all the notes, which clearly list what you can run with a V. 8 dongle.  To my surprise my V. 8 blasted dongle will only run MC with symphony option V7 and symphony V 6.5.X.  Again this is clearly listed in the read me but I had assumed like always a dongle would be backward compatible to earlier versions without any issues like the software activation has with the change in activation code structure between 5.5 and 6.0.  If I need to run earlier than V.6.5 Avid will give me a temporary code which is great but I'm curious what the logic behind this is.  My understanding is the bins from Ver 7 are compatible to the latest version of Ver 5.5 and above.  I would assume, here I go again, that the same applies to Ver. 8 bins but I've got to confirm this.

I guess I don't understand why, after paying the support contract money, I should lose the ability to run back to 5.5.x where bin compatibility seems to end.  I've paid the money to help Avid stay in business why are they taking away a long standing ability to run previous versions?  I get that moving forward they don't want to be handicapped by having to make bins etc... backwards compatible but if I want to run 5.5.x why not let my V. 8 dongle work with it like a V 7 dongle does?  Many places I work haven't been eager to purchase BCC 8 or higher so they are still running V 5.5.  Now my advice to them is to get the support contract for $299.00/year by the end of the year but not to blast their dongles until they need to jump to the 64 bit world.  For me dongles have been a no brainer even paying the additional $300 and now $500 for them made sense because I didn't have to keep track of the software activation codes once the dongle was blasted.  Now the "My Products" page does this but the simplicity of  having my dongle as a universal key to Avids of all versions is something I appreciated in the past.

Can someone enlighten me on why this restriction has been placed on Ver. 8 dongles and also the software activations?
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Yahoo Groups
Improved Group Homepage!
The About page of your Group now gives you a heads up display of recent activity, including the latest photos and files

Yahoo Groups
Control your view and sort preferences per Yahoo Group
You can now control your default Sort & View Preferences for Conversations, Photos and Files in the membership settings page.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment