Saturday, June 28, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Shotgun recommendation

 

Mics are one of the few things that don't go out of date.  Cameras do, monitors do, NLEs do, computers do.  Mics and Lenses tend to hold their value if chosen well.


Sometimes it's worth spending more.  I got a Schoeps with CMBi preamp to use on a consumer DV camcorder — it cost 2x what the camera did, but the sound was so good it was worth it.

You often will find Schoeps preamps and capsules on eBay.  You want the MK41 capsule, or a compact CCL mic with 41 pattern (sometimes these are a bargain, and they are small).

Good luck!

On Jun 28, 2014, at 2:12 PM, Greg Huson Greg@SecretHQ.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



Thanks Tom and again Jim.  

I hadn't planned on spending that much money, but I've had my current shotgun for 10-15 years or more, so maybe going cheaper ( I was leaning Rhode) isn't the right answer.  You always need a good mic and my Tram Lav has been awesome for that same 10 years.  

I'm mostly shooting blackmagic, because I'm 're-learning' how to shoot, and we don't sell it as a service yer, so it's what I can justify financially.  But the AKG I have simply doesn't have enough gain, even with the dr-100 as 'second system,' and I'm not keen on strapping on a pre-amp.  

Guess I'll head over to Location Sound Monday or Tuesday.

GH
________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com

On Jun 28, 2014, at 12:46 PM, "'Tom McDonnell' ltr54@sbcglobal.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Sorry AVID-L for replying late on this thread...

Jim Feeley wrote:
>This is probably more info than you need, but hopefully it'll help frame
your search.

Jim that is THE most comprehensive treatise on shotgun mics I've ever read.
;-)

Greg I don't know your application. If you are planning on putting it on a
DSLR then save your money unless you plan to record double system sound. At
my last job I did several shoots where we had to shoot on DSLR crap and
double system sound was the only way to record professional dialog. There
where a few times when I had to record sound straight to the DSLR. It
sounded like crap but was considered by the director "good enough to get
away with." 

I can only add like Jim suggested is go to Location Sound on Cahuenga Blvd W
and sound test all the mics. They have all the mics discussed here in a real
world environment. Now I will say my experience was eye opening. I A'B'd mic
after mic and the only candidates I would consider where the Sanken CS-3,
CS-1 and Scheops Shotgun, every other mic sounded frankly like crap to my
ears. In the end I purchased the CS-3. My experience was the Schoeps shotgun
was simply stunning in sound, pattern, isolation and notably it's incredible
reach and it is such a rich warm sounding shotgun. The real shock was the
CS-3 and CS-1 where only behind the Schoeps in reach. What does that mean?
Well with the Schoeps you didn't have to find the sweet spot it's just
there, with the Sanken's you had to do a bit more hunt and pecking. As far
as the MKH series I was not impressed at all. They sounded hollow, boomy and
just plain crappy next to the Sankens and Schoeps. And FYI I was ready to
lay down cash on a MKH mic sound unheard. That's how good the MKH rep was
with the sound mixers I work with.

The guys at Location Sound will treat you right. 

Tom McDonnell
818-675-1501




Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@kinetta.com
kinetta.com
kinettaarchival.com


__._,_.___

Posted by: Jeff Kreines <jeff@kinetta.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment