Friday, May 30, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Some Good News [slightly OT and long winded]

 

The biggest two things I don't like in Premiere is the cursor's tendency to jump around in the timeline - and that you can't seem to map effects to a keystroke.  That means if I'm doing multicam, and I want to drop a dissolve on a bunch of edits, I have to drag it over every single time.  Really annoying.

Raster Independence, and integration are great.  No need for the bogus Pan and Scan plug in either.

Mark


On 5/30/2014 3:03 PM, Benjamin Hershleder Ben@ContactBen.com [Avid-L2] wrote:
 

Funny that you mention this Michael.
I just recently spent some hours looking over Premiere CC, too
(I guess there are some timeline changes from v6 to CC, so I focused on CC).
While there are some nice features/abilities that make it interesting (and that I wish MC would have too),
there are a variety of things that an average user, like me, didn't like.
At first glance (admittedly not digging overly deep), just a couple things I didn't like that come
to mind right off are:
- the JKL trimming (and trimming in general) -- supposedly improved in CC, I think -- but still
not as responsive and user-friendly as MC.
- Dealing with User Settings
- How it deals with mixing frame rates (maybe someone can convince me that it's as good as MC…)
- The way track patching works (newly implemented, yet!)

Things I liked:
- Raster independence
- Story App. (though it looks to be quite time intensive, compared to Phase Find, if that remains as an option), but I liked some of the features of it.
- Integration with Photoshop and After Effects.
- How much the GUI is like other Adobe Apps, like After Effects, made me feel relatively comfortable quickly. It would be nice if MC would implement some of their UI features. I should say "other UI features" because it appears to me that Adobe has been an inspiration for the MC designers/engineers in the recent past*

* I will use every opportunity, including this one, to once again (this may be my 504th time) plead with Avid for the earlier, much more robust, interface customization abilities to be returned (and then some), as well as the return of something along the lines of the SuperBin.

Anyway . . .
Long Live MC!

Have a good weekend all!

B

On May 30, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Michael Kedor mikedor@gmail.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

With all the consternation surrounding Avid and the uncertainty of its future, I thought it would be best to expand my toolset.

I mean, I have this copy of Premiere CS 6 that's been collecting dust. Why not cut a little charity promo piece in it to see what's under the hood?

Simple enough. Footage shot from a Nikon with an H.264 codec shouldn't be too complicated, right?

I fire up Premiere and wait. Hmm. It's taking a while. What's happening on facebook? This CrossFit fail video is hilarious! Wait, is Premiere still loading? Hmm.

Force quit. Relaunch.

Let's read a bit about the NFL OTAs while it launches. Julius Peppers might be a beast this season under Dom Capers. Seriously, Premiere hasn't finished loading, yet?

Force quit. Restart the computer.

Launch Premiere. Only Premiere. Ok, we're in. Set up my bins and project settings. Point Premiere to my media. Good. No transcoding to be done. Good. Right click and make a sequence from my clip. Load that sequence. Press play. No monitor out through the Blackmagic card. Hmm. Check Blackmagic settings to match sequence settings. Ok. Picture. Press play and there are dropped frames and audio sync issues. Well, this isn't going to work for cutting. Bypass monitor out. Press play. Still clunky.

2.5 hours later.

Shut Premiere down. Launch Avid. Set up my bins, and AMA the media into the project. Play first clip. Monitoring out is working. There are no dropped frames, and the audio is in sync.

Whelp, Avid made the choice for me. It just works. I don't want to have to transcode the source media if I don't have to.

Thank you, Avid. Please don't go away.

I CAN'T QUIT YOU, AVID!

-Michael Kedor

Sent from iKedor mini


Posted by: Michael Kedor <mikedor@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
.
 






--
Owner/Director
S.R. Film & Video
195 W Broad St
Salunga PA  17538


Cinematography, Still Photography, Copy Writing,
Post Production, Web Hosting & Design

Office: 717-393-5504  ex 142
Cell: 717-203-0976
Fax: 717-393-1833

www.SR-Pro.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Myers <markm@sr-pro.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment