Saturday, March 29, 2014

RE: [Avid-L2] AMA editing

 

Wilson-

What kind of dock are you using? Any estimate on the number of connections/disconnections before failure?

 

Pete O

 

POP Pictures

Orlando

 

From: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Wilson Chao
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:15 PM
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] AMA editing

 

 

If it's a plain USB 2.0 drive, your bottleneck may be the interface rather than the drive mechanism.  If so, buy a USB 3.0, FireWire 800, or eSATA dock.  Pull the drive mechanism out of the box, stick it in the dock.  Edit with AMA.  I've done this, even with slow/cheap (5400 rpm "green") raw drives; it works.

 

 

 

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Lou Wirth <loutv@mindspring.com> wrote:

 

Believe it or not I have avoided this up until now. I always use AMA to transcode to Avid files and then edit. But today my client came in with 2 TB of media and wanted to get started. I went to transcode first clip and it was over an hour. So, in my panic I said, "we can use AMA and put roughs together starting right now". To make matters worse her drive is USB so we do not get any smooth video playback, even at lowest timeline res. These are 11 sequences or profiles of people so mostly just interview. My question is, now what? Once I have the sequences cut together, we want to start to finesse the cuts, add some broll graphics etc. I really need to get smooth playback or best, get these sequences transcoded to Avid media. How do I do this given my sequences are just AMA off the USB drive?

Thanks for any help and I should have paid attention in class.

Lou
Lou Wirth Productions
500Tamal Plaza, Suite 522
Corte Madera, CA 94925
www.louwirth.com
415-924-9411p

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment