Thursday, December 19, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Off-line Logging for Avid Media Composer?

 

I have considered using Premiere and if we do this, I'd check into Prelude as a simpler option.  No cost advantage though as it's all part of CC now.


cheers,
             tod

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM, RRF Avid wrote:

 

Have you looked into Adobe Prelude?  I don't have much experience with it, but it might be worth a look.


- Rich

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:15 AM, T Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:

 

Regarding the use of P2 Contents Manager and Sony Content Browser 2, per their website descriptions:


Sony Content Browser list export to AAF for Avid, which suggests that this will serve as a logger for Sony XDCAM files, particularly camera original, with the added benefit that it can prep Avid compatible files when necessary.  I have never been able to load a non-Sony MXF into this app, so I would not presume it could be used as a logger for files from a non-Sony media recorder such as we routinely use.

P2 Contents Manager description does not explicitly mention AAF or other compatible export.  I guess I'll just have to try it.  

As it happens at the moment, I have quite a bit of P2 original at the moment, though we do not routinely use P2.   Neither helps with archival logging.

Anyone else have experience using these for Avid prep?  T ips or pointers to tutorials?

cheers,
             tod

On Dec 19, 2013, at 8:57 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

 

Close!  I wish it could read MXF files.  The vast majority of what I want to log for Avid is MXF or MP$.  I'm returning to Avid after a 5-year absence and wrapping my head around a new file-format workflow is a chore.  While I do have a ton of Quicktime on the shelf, going forward with Avid, the inbound materials will be MXF.  And a great deal of what I log is in off-line formats, particularly MP4.  We do a lot of archival work.


The more I think about this problem, the more I realize how complicated it is even to pin down what I want this logger to handle.

Hmmm...  Sony and Panasonic both have "browser" apps.  I need to determine whether these could be purposed "loggers" prior to Avid import.  I should investigate that.

cheers,
             tod


On De c 18, 2013, at 10:46 A M, Edit B wrote:

 

Of course there is one :-)
 
But it's a long time since i've touched it, no idea if it runs.
(well, on windows it probably does, but not sure about mac)
 
Bouke
 
VideoToolShed
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  NIJMEGEN, the Netherlands
+31 24 3553311
----- Original Message -----
From: T Hopkins
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Off-line Logging for Avid Media Composer?

 

All good products, but nothing that creates "logs" for file based media.  I want to create bins for Media Composer without Media Composer. 


The methods I've found so far:

Manual creation of tab delimited files using Excel as the collection tool. 
Adobe Premiere via AAF export. 
Final Cut to Excel to tab delimited file, with many little gotchas to avoid.
CatDV, I think.

None of these is particularly simple or cost effective.  

The only product I've found remotely like what I want is MovieLogger from Digital Heaven, but not for Avid.

I was sure there would be some kind of "field" loggers for Avid.  Guess not.   

cheers,
             tod



On Dec 17, 2013, at 5:28 PM, Steve Hullfish wrote:

 

Check out products from Imagine Products: ShotPut, ProxyMill, etc.


Steve

On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Is there any worthwhile software for "off-line" logging and prepping of file based footage for Avid Media Composer, other than Avid Media Composer itself?  I can't find anything, and that surprises me.  











__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment