Friday, November 1, 2013

RE: Re: [Avid-L2] OT - Eyeon update Tech and Creative

 

Mike, you need to get on a real system that does 48K image. If you're not doing that you are an amateur. ;-) 



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I heard no one can see 4K or anything over 60 fps :)

Jeff you know I have liked Fusion a long long time, I used very early copies back when Rob Nichol was selling the tracker to Alias as Maya live, Ive done a couple of films in it and still love its depth effects, water and particle stuff, I love its speed BUT I cannot and will not let windows into my personal daily work routine.

I did a feature in Nuke a couple of years ago that was all Windows, I was miserable. Every interaction with the OS depressed me from copying files to lack of basic Unix commands. All my project organisation on mac and linux works from perl and python scripts, even with third party extensions windows odd practice of mapping drives and a strange implementation of proper UNC path support totally derailed me. Using the OS is no drama, its the same as everyone else but each time a shell script fails my blood pressure sky rockets as there goes the rest of the day. Its no coincidence that the film in question was why I had heart surgery that year. Twice. There were other factors that made the surgery necessary I'm sure but I think windows was at least 99% to blame with maybe 1% of personal culpability from eating badly, drinking too much coke, working over 100 hours a week and lack of exercise. But logically yeah it was windows that did it.

I'm sure windows is perfectly good for a good part of the world, I hear its very popular with spreadsheets and video games, but high end VFX is by and large a unix world and after 30 years in that world I'm not going to rework every part of my pipeline for any piece of software.

By the way I did an IMAX project at 8K in Shake in late 1999, back then you had to manually edit the include.h file to change the max image size from the 4k default. Memory management during comp was the biggest hurdle back then but the scanline renderer only loaded into memory what was needed per line. How do you guys handle pushing 32 bit 4K images around and what's the recommended memory spec for a stereo 4K project?

best regards

Mike

On 11/2/13, 6:34 AM, Jeff Krebs wrote:
 
We do way above 8k and we also do 4k stereo at 120 fps and I don't know anyone else who can.

 

Its OK I'm skipping 4K now and waiting for 8K.




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment