Sunday, November 10, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Anyone love or hate the Blackmagic Ultrascope?

 

Wow, Mike, your numbers are WAY off. 


The basic Tek WVR-5200 is about $6000 I think. The WFM-5200 is $7000 I think. Those scopes allow 2-up display (actual scopes) and 4-up of some other displays, and have buttons that can instantly switch to another set of scopes. Even the nicest of the Tek scopes are $12 to $15K.

So I totally understand that they're maybe $5000 more than a smartscope duo or Ultrascope, but they can be used in the field and are easy to take with you on freelance jobs if you do that. I rent mine Tektronix scope to anyone who wants to hire me to do color correction (nobody has their own scopes) so my scopes actually MAKE me money instead of costing me money.

Add to that the fact that if you are actually delivering for broadcast it would be suicide to try to pass QC with any scope that didn't have gamut displays.

Then, for any kind of color correcting work you need to be able to customize the display a little bit at least. So to me, for the people who say "I'm just an editor" so all I need is an UltraScope, I think it's more like a security blanket "Hey I HAVE a scope" than real practicality. If you're an OFF-LINE editor exclusively, then you don't really need a scope. If you're an ON-LINE editor, then you need something way better than an UltraScope. If you're some combination of the two (like many people) then it might do you in SOME instances, but not others. Just having an RGB Parade that's accurate and high-resolution is probably 75% of what any of us need 75% of the time, but it's the other 25% and 25% that mean you need something better.

GAMUT monitoring is critical to most delivery work.

DISCLAIMER: I do work sometimes for Tektronix.

Steve Hullfish

On Nov 9, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Mikeparsons.tv <mikeparsons.tv@gmail.com> wrote:

 

It's lacking only when compared to 50,000 buck omnitechs and much more engineering oriented scopes.
It's more than adequate for delivery if any network show as a tech check.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment