Friday, September 20, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: OT: Improving DSL speed with Cat 6?

 

Don't listen to Wilson his 'facts' are based in 'reality'.  If I've learnt anything from 30 years of dealing with semiconductors it's to ignore probability theory and embrace possibility theory. 

Therefore it's possibly better and that's ALL that counts. 

Mike

Enjoy your new wire.

On 21 Sep, 2013, at 1:11 AM, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

 

Thanks for the clarification Mr. BuzzKill. Would it have killed you to cosign my BS? I know for a fact the electrons will be happier in the Cat 6. Even a single line in a twisted pair will spin around like a fancy roller coaster and except for the occasional ralphing electron with an upset tommy the rest will be so happy they might just start tunneling their way all over the place. Besides these wires go near the main power box so I was going to use some of the spare wires to test the GFI in the neighboring bathroom. With access to the isolated neutral I should be able to really make some sparks fly. ;-)

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Wilson Chao <wilsonchao@...> wrote:
>
> It shouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't expect it to help either. Cat 6 consists
> of twisted pairs used for differential signalling, and it's specifically
> optimized for cross-talk rejection. But DSL uses a single wire, which
> explains why sometimes a copper pair will support DSL even though it fails
> to support POTS. So CAT 5, CAT 6, doesn't mean squat for DSL.
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > A while back we cancelled our 2nd phone line that had been dedicated to
> > our house alarm. I moved the alarm phone bypass over to our primary phone
> > line at the time and I found it drastically reduced the internet
> > performance speed wise. Not really a surprise because it added a round
> > trip line across the house to the alarm box and back to the phone access
> > box on the side of the house and it went through the interrupt
> > circuit/relay. At the time I just found an unused pair of wires in the
> > house phone wiring and ran the jack to the modem directly to the incoming
> > phone line from the street, bypassing the alarm completely. This brought
> > the speed back up to I guess where it had been before.
> >
> > We are doing major rewiring in our house and I've pulled nearly 1,000 feet
> > of Cat 6. I wanted to run a completely dedicated new piece of wire for the
> > dsl modem to hopefully get even better performance out of my meager DSL
> > speed. Does anyone have an opinion on whether running a home run line from
> > my DSL modem to the phone box to connect directly to the outside line with
> > Cat 6 will make a difference. I've run the line already just curious if my
> > thoughts have any merit. I don't think it can hurt.
> >
> > John Moore
> > Barking Trout Productions
> > Studio City, CA
> > bigfish@...
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment