Saturday, September 7, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: OT: Toslink vs. HDMI Arc for audio monitoring?

 

Manufacturers tend to implement ARC differently. The behavior of that HDMI port on your monitor might be defined in a setup screen -- or it may be automatically "sensed" based on what is connected to it. For more information, you might want to read this:

http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-and-what-does-it-do-for-your-hdtv/

It is true that TOSLINK does not support the bandwidth required for lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Depending on your setup, you might want to consider purchasing an inexpensive HDMI-compatible AV Receiver (Denon is a good place to start your research) that will act as your HDMI switch, that will support lossless surround formats -- and that might provide some level of automated calibration (although manual calibration is typically superior).

Depending on the actual source of your OTA programming (monitor or external box), you might still need to grapple with that OTA audio -- but, depending on your monitor's ARC implementation (see article linked above) and your AV Receiver's capabilities, that issue might be addressable using ARC from your monitor back to the AV Receiver.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> So my soon to be installed Panny Plasma has no conventional audio or video outputs.  One component/composite input and 3 HDMI inputs, the HDMI 2 is (arc) capable and there is an optical Toslink connection.  My current audio receiver is pre HDMI and doesn't have an optical input.  I see that I can get a digital to analogue break out box that would give me discrete rca jacks for 5.1 sound.  My receiver has a 6 rca discrete input so that could work.  I haven't started looking for a similar unit that would take the HDMI arc (audio return channel) and do the same thing.  I will be feeding the set with Direct TV box on one of the HDMI inputs and I could feed the Sat box audio to the audio receiver but if I go for over the air the audio has to get back from the TV.  This is my first time looking into HDMI arc.  If input HDMI 2 is the arc channel can it only be used for the audio return or can it still be used as an input?  I don't see how that would be
> possible given the HDMI from the arc TV connection would have to directly to an audio break our box or an arc HDMI compatible audio unit. 
>
>
> I also read that the optical tos link can only do compressed 5.1 whereas the arc path is uncompressed.  I'm not an audiophile but I do play one on TV sometimes is this a concern?  And yes I know my new plasma is already out of date with no 4K option, how will I sleep at night.  ;-)
>
>  
> John Moore
> Barking Trout Productions
> Studio City, CA
> bigfish@...
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment