Saturday, August 17, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: ProRes QT Pro Export from Avid QT Ref?

 

yo, sounds like you are having some tape-less fun. First of all from what I have seen in the Avid if you output a quicktime reference movie that links to Avid .mxf media, then choose Color Levels 601/709 on export. Since the file is a Quicktime wrapper that links to Avid native codec essence. I have seen these Quicktime files shift the Gamma upon using AMA. For Avid Native codec files that were created using an Avid, I would activate Fast Import mode by selecting in the Avid input settings "601 SD or 709 HD", and then use File>Import for Avid codec files. Now (on 6.5), I have noticed that the only way I can get multi-channel audio (more then 4 tracks) embedded into a quicktime movie to work (meaning no white noise on tracks) is using an Avid native codec.

I hope this is helpful.

When I use the Avid to export a self contained ProResHQ codec quicktime movie I choose RGB in the export settings (Warning, RGB exports from the Avid clip the pludge pattern).

Also quicktime movies exported from a 23.976 1080p Avid project, the last frame is hidden in Resolve 9 and Final Cut Pro 7. After Effects and Avid can access the last frame fine. For Resolve 9 I have been using uncompressed 10bit mxf files from the Avid (Digitizing Tapes). I have not seen any errors so far with uncompressed 10bit mxf files.

- scott freeman

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> I thought I had a workable workflow for taking a multichannel Avid QT ref export into QT Pro 7.6.6 and exporting a ProResHQ 422 file without major gamma shift.  I still think that works pretty well but I noticed that when I exported the 10 second slate white type over black as a QT Ref from Avid DNX 220 sequence the reference movie looked a little washed out on the computer screen, which I would expect due to the 601/709 16-235 levels from the Avid ref QT set to 601/709 on the export options.  Then when I export it from QT Pro to a self contained Prores HQ 422 the resulting movie shows RGB like black levels on the computer screen.  AMA linking back to both the reference movie and the prores self contained movie in Avid and both look correct in level and other than a slight gamma difference they are correct.  So the video essence is the same in both files but once exported to prores QT player stretches the video level on desktop playback.  Not
> surprising I guess just an observation. 
>
>
> This was all brought about when I was checking previously exported files that are required to have the bars and tone as a separate file and I found the bars files for previous shows I didn't work on didn't match the program files.  Ultimately it was the Avid bars had been imported at the wrong level so the resulting file exports for bars were at the wrong level and I figured it was due to Prores QT crap but in this case it was properly representing the incorrect level of bars just as they were originally wrong in Avid.  How do you miss that?  Man it's time to start taking names and whacking pee pees.  ;-)
>
>  
> John Moore
> Barking Trout Productions
> Studio City, CA
> bigfish@...
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment