Friday, August 30, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: A goodbye; Selling my copy of MC7 + Dongle

 

You do have to shutdown the Euphonics Control software to allow the Artist Color to work with the Baselight plugin. However, I have not had to disable the Euphonics Controller within Symphony.

The last time I spent any appreciable amount of time using the Baselight plugin -- it was on a Mac and I was getting around 3 fps out of an Avid Mojo DX.

I discussed this with Martin at NAB and he said that external monitoring had formerly worked much better in the past -- but that a change instituted by Avid (maybe v.6?) broke it.

I am now on the Windows version of the Baselight plugin, on an Avid qualified PC platform with Mojo DX -- and I am getting ZERO frames per second. In short, I can see image modifications -- but clips will not play on the external monitor while the Baselight plugin is open.

If I come across as being endlessly cranky about Avid not upgrading their tools -- and also not providing 3rd party plugin developers with an architecture to allow them to fill-in Media Composers shortcomings -- this is the reason why.

How can I possibly use the Baselight plugin in a professional environment? Symphony's 20th century CC limitation are not the answer either -- and don't even get me started on using the Artist Color with Symphony.

Someone recently posted that Avid uses a "Good Enough" development approach. I believe this is largely true. Unfortunately, their idea of "Good Enough" does not match mine -- nor anyone else I know.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Reeve <dylan@...> wrote:
>
> For some reason Filmlight appear to have had to reverse engineer the
> Euphonix protocol. They peer directly with the panel rather than
> interfacing with it though the Euphonix control software. In my case that
> meant I had to disable the panel in Symphony, and then also shutdown the
> Euphonix software on my system. It's possible some of that wasn't necessary
> though, I'm not totally sure.
>
> Seeing as I barely even bother with the Artist Color panel in Symphony and
> don't often fire up Resolve it was no biggie for me. Might be annoying if I
> were using the panel more frequently.
>
> Dylan Reeve
> http://dylanreeve.com/
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM, johnrobmoore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > You mention something I hadn't considered. My artist color panel talks to
> > both Avid and Resolve depending on which I'm running. With both apps
> > running I haven't tried to see if panel control shifts based on the
> > currently active program. What happens when launching into the baselight
> > plug in UI? What typr of hoops let the two work in harmony. Given how
> > useless the panel is in Avid it wouldn't be a great loss to have to
> > dedicate the panel to baselight solely.
> >
> > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Reeve <dylan@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes the Baselight plugin does interface with the Avid Artist panel well
> > > (better than Symphony, not quite as well as Resolve IMHO) but there's
> > some
> > > hoops to jump through in terms of getting it to - it can't share the
> > panel
> > > with Avid.
> > >
> > > I had 25fps playback with simple grades using 2-3 layers via my Nitris
> > DX.
> > >
> > > Dylan Reeve
> > > http://dylanreeve.com/
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM, johnrobmoore <bigfish@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > **
> >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > According to this thread a while back"
> > > >
> > > > http://community.avid.com/forums/t/112172.aspx?PageIndex=1
> > > >
> > > > I was under the impression that the baselight not only interfaced with
> > the
> > > > Avid Color Panel with proper response and sensitvity it also showed the
> > > > output through the SDI output of the Avid. Is this not the case. I
> > realize
> > > > you are mentioning real time playout but does the plugin at least show
> > the
> > > > correction on the frame you are parked on while you adjust? The
> > > > aforementioned thread suggests yes but now I'm wondering.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "blafarm" <blafarm@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > That would be my wish as well -- but, unfortunately, it seems to be a
> > > > fantasy that is not destined to come true.
> > > > >
> > > > > Curiously, Avid's development model is an unholy mix of refusing to
> > > > upgrade toolsets over a period of 10-15 years -- while at the same
> > time,
> > > > not providing a truly robust architecture to empower 3rd plugin
> > developers.
> > > > >
> > > > > For example, aside from the relational limitations, the last time I
> > used
> > > > the Baselight plugin you couldn't monitor the output over HD-SDI in
> > real
> > > > time (I've seen it as low as 3 FPS). Apparently, Filmlight has
> > repeatedly
> > > > asked for this to be addressed -- but to no avail.
> > > > >
> > > > > So you are making decisions based on a small image on a computer
> > monitor
> > > > (RGB color space, Truelight or not). Even worse, you have 3 or 4
> > clients
> > > > leaning over your shoulder attempting to see what you are doing.
> > > > >
> > > > > You can't have it both ways: You can't ignore toolsets for a decade
> > or
> > > > longer -- and not at least give your 3rd party developers the means to
> > > > take-up your slack and make the product 'whole' -- even if it's at an
> > > > additional cost to your users.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Reeve <dylan@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > My only real complaint with the 7.0 release - no impovement on
> > colour
> > > > > > correction. The workflow is so good, the tools are so mediocre.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > My current wish is that they find a way to let Filmlight hook into
> > the
> > > > > > workflow parts (relational correction, CC mode) with the Baselight
> > > > plugin.
> > > > > > That would be ideal!
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Dylan Reeve
> > > > > > http://dylanreeve.com/
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Terence Curren <tcurren@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > **
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "fordtimelord" <mattczak@>
> > wrote:
> > > > > > > "...although I wish they had moved into this decade along with
> > me in
> > > > color
> > > > > > > correction. "
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Me too!
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment