Sunday, July 28, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: Avid Seg AAF'd to Resolve for transcoding then .mov export skips frames?

 

I just wanted to update everyone on something I've discovered about our skipping
frames with an aaf import from Avid to Resolve 9.1.5. It seems it's not a skip
every so often but a skip in every shot somewhere in the middle when we import
an aaf. I tried the same sequence using an edl and we do not get the skipped
frames. I would now speculate this might have to do with the aaf being
interpreted as if the outpoint of the source time code is inclusive when in fact
it is exclusive. I seem to recall a setting related to edls being interpreted
as inclusive or exclusive but I can't seem to find it again in Resolve. Am I
misremembering this setting? Perhaps I am confusing the inclusive vs. exclusive
setting with Red Cine X Pro.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> This one hour show was offlined in Avid using downconverts from multiple Red Epics.  The finished offline sequence was decomposed in avid and then stringouts of the reels were made into timelines to facilitate exporting aafs of the string outs linked to the origial R3D files.  This was done to transcode the need footage to DNX 220.  Apparently the AE could not get his Avid 6.x to do the transcodes from ama linked R3D files.  My similar system does but his doesn't.  So the transcodes were done in Resolve.  I'm not sure if those transcodes were then linked back up in Avid and a new aaf of the timeline was sent to Resolve for color correction but that is my guess at this point.  The problem we are seeing now is that the .mov in ProresHQ exported from Resolve of the final show is skipping frames ever minute or so.  These are a complete skipped frames that I have confirmed are not skipped on the original R3D files.  My gut feels like something is
> going on between 29.97 and true 30.  The footage was shot 29.97P but I'm wondering if in one of the myriad of transcodes there could have been some link in the chain that was trying to in essence frame rate convert and thereby caused the skipping frame every so often.  I stepped through field by field or Psf by Psf to be more accurate and it's definately skipping over a complete frame.  Nothing like a frame being doubled up it's a missing frame that exists in the original.  Anybody seen this type of behavior?  I was not involved in the workflow so I'm trying to back engineer something that hasn't really been engineered from the start.  TIA
>
>  
> John Moore
> Barking Trout Productions
> Studio City, CA
> bigfish@...
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment