Friday, May 24, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: Canon 5D ama transcode has glitches is Perian a glitch maker?

 

I just noticed a typo in one of my earlier posts in this thread. The level issues on the ama'd clips on the mcsoft systems is that set to do not modify levels the clips show up as 0-255 according to the avid RGB parade waveform in color correction. Basically it's like a 601/709 vs RGB discrepancy.

Now in light of all this fun and the thread about the tapeless archive initiative being abandoned by the BBC I'd just like to say how much File Based SUCKS!!!!!. I know it's not going away but every time I turn around tapeless is biting me in the arse. Just last night when the AE's had 19 clips to re transcode due to level issues mentioned above the sequence lost it's ability to find clips in the decompose bin. Somehow the original transcode was done with 60 frame handles but after last nights ama clip fixes the sequence thought it had been entirely retranscode with 30 frame handles. Ironically by isolating clips in sub sequences I could show the reference clip in a bin and it was just like the original clips only with 30 frame handles and reveal file showed it still pointing to the original 60 frame handle mxf media file. Finally I had to manually highlight the original decompose bin clips and relink the sequence using relink to highlighted clips in open bins. After that I could matchframe and use the find in bin function. Tell me why I'm supposed to be happier with file based? Yeah I didn't have to buy an expensive SR deck but this project is SD shot mostly DVCPro it's just the interviews shot on Canon that are driving me nuts.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> It doesn't look like there is any EOS app as I don't see a Canon folder in the applications folder. I did notice that the Ae's system only has QT X and no QT 7.6.6. I don't know what the Avid heirarchy is for which QT engine is implemented for Avid's ama but perhaps that might be a reason for the difference in level interpretation on the ama linked clips. It is my understanding that these canon files are coming in through the QT plugin and with no QT 7.6.6 Avid must be using QT X on the Ae system. My SNDX has QT 7.6.6 and 7.6.2 as well as QT player which I assume is the QT X. This seems like a meaningful difference in the systems.
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@> wrote:
> >
> > We removed/disabled Perian and saw no level difference. On my SNDX 5.5.3 I only have two ama plugins installed the Red R3D (R3SDK V3.1) Ver 1.5 which I assume has no epic support because we're 5.5.3 and the Quicktime plugin V1.2. The media composer system has just the same Quicktime Plugin. When they ama link to the Canon files all start time codes are 00:00:00:00 with the exception of a group of differently named clips. The zero time code start file names starting with MVI_6442_INTY-JOE.new01 with everything after the "MVI_" changing for each clip although there will be some groups of clips that have everything the same except the ".new01, .new02 etc....) The other clips that originally transcoded with glitches have clip names like WT5A0205-INRY-JOW.new01 and these clips have normal like TOD time code ascending for example 5;05;58;17. All the clips with or without glitches on transcode have the level discrepancy in between my symphony and the mcsoft ama linked clips. I will check on the other softwares on the mc systems.
> >
> > I have the Canon XF Plugin on my home system. without any Canon plugin is it correct to assume the Canon files in the DCIM folder are being linked trough the QT plugin?
> >
> > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Dom Q. Silverio" <domqsilverio@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you have any other apps or utilities like Canon EOS E1? What version of
> > > QT?
> > >
> > > Dom Q. Silverio
> > >
> > >
> > > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM, johnrobmoore <bigfish@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Well a different system responds the same way as the other media composer.
> > > > So why when ama linking to Canon 5D files would my SNDX show proper levels
> > > > with the source settings set to do not modify levels and a mcsoft 5.5.3
> > > > need to be set to compress to video levels to show proper levels on the
> > > > avid internal scopes? We are going to try a transcode with it set to
> > > > compress to video levels and see how it looks when brought into my
> > > > symphony. This is strange.
> > > >
> > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > We tried removing Perian but the levels are still off. Interestingly on
> > > > my SNDX 5.5.3 when ama linking to the Canon 5D files selecting do no modify
> > > > levels results in proper 16-235 level. On the suspect system with Perian
> > > > removed do not modify results in 0-235 levels according to the mc color
> > > > correction RGB parade scope but reduce to video levels bring things to
> > > > 16-235. We are going to try a different mc system to see how it behaves.
> > > > IIRC Perian and something like the Sony Content Browser or some such app
> > > > were known to introduce level issues between ama and regular import or
> > > > something like that. Perhaps someone can remind me of the specifics. I'll
> > > > post what we find on the other system.
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Pat Horridge <pat@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Yes I've heard of Perian causing issues. I'd remove it and retest.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Sent from Pat's Android
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:
> > > > http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment