Sunday, March 31, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Resolve Integration to Avid and a surge in Resolve requests?

 

I've found the Resolve workflow reasonably painless for the jobs I've done
in it, but it's WAY slower and more complicated than Symphony.

I usually consolidate the sequence into a known location (make sure /Avid
MediaFiles/MXF/1 is empty on one drive) then export linked AAF of the
consolidated sequence. I import the MXF folder I consolidated to into the
Resolve Media Library, then import the AAF. That's worked fine in my
projects - but they tend to be pretty simple.

The downside to that is by consolidating I break up the clips so Resolve
doesn't understand the linked relationship of them meaning I can't
automatically take advantage of the ability to use linked grades.

When it comes to output I render out with the AAF Roudtrip presets to
another known empty MXF folder - /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2 for example - then
export an AAF from the graded sequence. Go back to Avid, it indexes the new
media. Import the AAF from Resolve and it's all back online. Any effects
that Resolve didn't understand are applied back onto the returned sequence.

Usually then I gang the pre- and post-grade sequences together and scrub
through to check everything is fine.

I much prefer Resolve's grading methodology - it's a lot easier to
manipulate Lift, Gamma and Gain settings without impacting colour. But in
practice for the work I do I can't manage without Symphony's relational
corrections and in-situ grading.

I haven't yet tested any wrokflow involving linking back to native raw
files from RED or anyone else.

I'm really keen to use BaseLight for those difficult shots in Symphony, but
it's not available for Windows yet.

Dylan Reeve
http://dylanreeve.com/

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scratch too. In fact, your color grading system is lame if it can't.
>
> On Friday, March 29, 2013, oliverpetersvidy wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > > ksirul wrote:
> > > Friggin cool though!
> >
> > Agreed. FWIW - Adobe SpeedGrade can also do this.
> >
> > - Oliver
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:
> http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment