Saturday, March 2, 2013

[Avid-L2] Restoring a new iMac quite the wait?

 

Setting up a new iMac and I wanted to keep the log in simple but I realized after the initial name and password I gave the computer I wanted the name and the password to be the same.  I'm not worried about security at home so I went to set up a new user with the name that matched the password I already used.  I get errors about the name already being in use.  Oh well I'm sure someone knows how to rework that but I figured I should take the opportunity to test out the new OS Restore feature.  Or should I say the new curse.  I started it and it's telling me the restore is going to take 7 hours and 41 minutes.  WTF?  I am supposed to get up to 3Mbps and I just ran a speed test that came in at 1.7Mbps but the OS restore is going so I figure that's probably taking up some of the bandwidth.  At any rate almost 8 hours to restore the OS!!  This seems ridiculous.  I haven't done much googling on this but I didn't find any cheats like the script for OS
10.7 that allowed the OS update to be stored on a flash drive.  Does anyone know of such a beast for 10.8.2 which is what this new iMac 21inch came with?  The lack of the ability to have an OS restore/emergency disk or even partition that doesn't require a download of such extreme length is inconceivable to me, but what do I know.  If the system wasn't brand new out of the box I'd definitely see how I could delete the errant user name I created and get the name to match the password I want but for the sake of experience I'm going to let this thing run it's course.  Perhaps the time estimate will change along the way but right now I'm shocked.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment