Friday, March 22, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: JVC DT-V24G1E gamma settings for Rec709

 

How new is the 2.4 gamma standard? I see on my Sony OLED PVM 2541 the gamma choices are 2.2, 2.4 and CRT. The CRT setting is closer to 2.2 gamma but a little bit overall brighter. I have always run at 2.4. In a controlled environment like an edit bay I have been under the assumption that the Sony monitor closely reflects the display characters of a traditional CRT with rich blacks etc.... Seeing how different the image is when setting the gamma to the CRT selection raises questions as to what setting really mimics a CRT display. In viewing some of the shows I've color corrected with the 2.4 gamma setting at home the images seem to have an even higher gamma over my direct tv ntsc box into my old Sony consumer CRT. Of course that's not a precise test but just a feeling I got watching a few of my shows. That feeling is the opposite of what the CRT setting on the OLED shows. If anything if I ran in CRT gamma I'd probably be pulling down the darker areas even more which empirical data suggests would be wrong. So what is the "Spirit" of the CRT gamma setting?

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Terence Curren" <tcurren@...> wrote:
>
> The new standard is 2.4.
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Fabrice Altman" <fabricealtman@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > we use a JVC DT-V24G1E to monitor our edits.
> > It's got a gamma setting options of 2.2, 2.35, 2.45 or 2.6.
> >
> > It's at 2.2 by default but I'm tempted to put it at 2.35 or 2.45.
> > No calibration science involved, just a hunch when I see regular
> > TVs around...
> >
> > Would that sort of make sense?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > F.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment