Saturday, November 3, 2012

[Avid-L2] Xpress Pro HD Upgrade or OK?

 

Hi all, I posted this on the Avid Community Boards, but the Xpress Pro section is archived now, so posting here in case no one is checking posts there any more, hope that's OK.

Haven't used my Avid system for years since becoming a screenwriter by trade, but need to cut an indie feature I'm directing soon. Will be shooting on the ubiquitous 5Dmkii and wondering if-

a) my current Avid setup (Xpress Studio HD 5.2.1, HPxw8200 3.4GHz DP, 2GB RAM, Quadro FX-1400, 2x500GB Internal HDD, G-Raid 500GB external) will handle the footage (is there a format I should transcode to for easier editing/compatibility, and a tool to do this)? I'm not sure if that's the last version I have download rights to, or simply the last one I installed, how do I check?

b) if not, what's the current upgrade path, and would I need to upgrade the PC too?

c) in either case, I need to be able to upgrade the OS on the PC if possible, as I had the luxury of leaving this as a dedicated edit machine back in the day, but will need it for other film related tasks and to connect to the web. I'm still on XP SP2. Would like to be able to upgrade to SP3 or Win 7, but have no idea about compatibility of QT or a myriad other factors now.

Sorry for the ignorant post but I'm literally years out of date!

Best,

James

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment