Thursday, November 1, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: Has Anyone Daisy Chained Two Apple LED Monitors Using Their Thunderbolt Ports?

 

I got the eVGA UV Plus 19+ unit and it works but I find that with my matching HP W2371d monitors the right one driven from my MBP through a minidisplayport to vga adapter and the left one through the eVGA usb 2.0 to DVI adapter through a DVI to VGA adapter (included with the unit) the left monitor when set to 1920x1080 the monitors native resolution the display overscans drastically. If I move the menu bar to this monitor I see the right side of the menu bar but the left side with the apple and file text is off screen. If I go to 1680x1050 I see the complete menu bar but I'm trying to run at the monitors native resolution on 1920x1080. My understanding is Avid has issues when the dual monitors are not running at the same resolution. I swapped the feeds to the monitors so it's definitely something to do with the eVGA and 1920x1080. I read somewhere the eVGA UV 19+ unit supports 1920x1200. I don't know if that's what it's trying to do when I set it to 1920x1080 or what the issue is. I'm contacting their support but curious if anyone has any suggestions in the mean time. So close.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Hedberg <jeff@...> wrote:
>
> We ran the setup in clamshell (screen closed) for the entire session (days). No problems.
> The internal fans might have kicked in more often to keep everything cool - but there didn't seem to be any damage done!
>
> (I'd be inclined to lose the keyboard cover, just so you are close to how it shipped from factory)
>
> Jeff
>
> ------------------
> Jeff Hedberg
> Union Editorial
> 575 Broadway
> 6th floor
> New York, NY 10012
>
>
> On Oct 21, 2012, at 4:26 PM, johnrobmoore wrote:
>
> > Hey Jeff,
> > I just order one of the usb to dvi adapters for my MBP to drive a 2nd external monitor. I am now using my laptop screen and the display port connection to a 2nd monitor 1920x1080. I plan to use the usb adapter to drive an identical 1920x1080 external monitor for a standard two monitor setup. Once I close the lid I will be mindful of potential cooling issues but do you or anyone know how this usb to dvi adapter will show up in the monitor preferences etc... Looks like the unit is in somewhat short supply right now as both newegg and amazon had none I found it on Ebay. Looking forward to seeing how it works. Does anyone know if I'm asking for trouble using this adapter, (eVGA UV Plus+ 19 USB VGA Display Adapter 100-U2-UV19-TR DVI Interface), while feeding a 2nd external by the mini display port? Also I have an Avid KB Cover on the keyboard to have the Avid icons. Something tells me I should take this off if I'm going to run with the lid closed as it seems like it might hold in some of the heat that the keyboard would normally help disperse. Perhaps this is insignificant when the lid is closed but I'm curious what others think.
> >
> > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Hedberg <jeff@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > That's the part about color not being accurate.
> > > The computer and Media Composer still consider the HDMI a third display - then we went in to the Avid's settings for full screen and located it on to the HDMI monitor.
> > >
> > > Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised that the laptop drove all three screens so well.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >
> > > ------------------
> > > Jeff Hedberg
> > > Union Editorial
> > > 575 Broadway
> > > 6th floor
> > > New York, NY 10012
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Jul 10, 2012, at 12:30 PM, David Dodson wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi, Jeff,
> > > >
> > > > A follow-up question... How do you force the Thunderbolt/MDP to have client monitor output? That is, it's not merely another computer screen, but is rather the video output from the Source and Record monitors at 1080.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > DD
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Jul 9, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Jeff Hedberg wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I want to brag a little bit here about a setup I put together that ended up working really well.
> > > > > We limited the Thunderbolt port to storage and an HDMI converter only.
> > > > >
> > > > > Then, in order to get 2 big (DVI) editing screens I put two of these on the USB ports.
> > > > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815101006
> > > > >
> > > > > I was worried that the screens might not want to keep up given that they were over USB - however, this setup worked GREAT.
> > > > > We closed the laptop's lid, and put on an external keyboard and mouse - and it was a similar experience to running off the towers.
> > > > > (you'll want a USB hub if you use a dongle)
> > > > >
> > > > > With just a laptop and thunderbolt storage we were able to walk in on set and have a real nice editing experience. (including Plasma monitoring for client)
> > > > > (the plasma wasn't color accurate - but this was an acceptable solution in this case)
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Jeff
> > > > >
> > > > > ------------------
> > > > > Jeff Hedberg
> > > > > Union Editorial
> > > > > 575 Broadway
> > > > > 6th floor
> > > > > New York, NY 10012
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On Jul 6, 2012, at 8:35 PM, David Dodson wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >>
> > > > >> As I asked in the Subject line, has anyone hooked up a two-monitor configuration coming out of their MacBook Pro (or MacPro, I suppose) using the single Thunderbolt port and then somehow daisy-chaining a second monitor off of the first?
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I ask because I'm trying to understand if it's possible to do this, thereby eliminating the need for a Mojo DX which would take up the Express34 slot on my 17" MBP with the PCIe card, which I would rather use for an eSATA card.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Thanks,
> > > > >>
> > > > >> DD
> > > > >>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> David Dodson
> > > > >> davidadodson@
> > > > >>
> > > > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > ------------------------------------
> > > > >
> > > > > Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > David Dodson
> > > > davidadodson@
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (58)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment