Sunday, October 14, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] AMA C300 clips

 

I'm cutting an hour right now for Discovery that has footage from the C300.

Editing the clips straight from AMA is never really an option, except for very small and simple projects.

Once loaded with AMA, the C300 footage can just be consolidated onto the Avid drives (no transcoding) and they will play back OK, with some quirks. For example, if you have material that is shot in 1080p and you need to edit in 1080i (a common scenario these days), then clips above a "certain length" will not really play back in the Source window. You can scrub and play audio, but the video will actually go black if you try to play it. I expect these are "spanned" clips. I've also seen this with the Sony F3, but you can play back longer clips with the F3 (lower data rate?) Transcoding to DNxHD solves all these problems, of course, but takes a bit more time and drive space.

On Oct 3, 2012, at 4:15 AM, Marcus wrote:

>> On the heels of this...
>>
>> Has anyone gone through a project using C300 footage? We have a project
>> coming up shooting eight days and two cameras on the C300.
>>
>> I'm thinking we're best to AMA the footage and then transcode, going back
>> to the AMA clips before grading. Has anyone cut natively with the camera
>> MXF footage? Storage permitting, would we suffer a performance hit cutting
>> off of the native footage?
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> I've completed a number of projects using the C300, and the XF305 which
> is the same files as the C300.
>
> I started a set of training videos about a year ago and they were shot
> on XF305 and 5dMkII and all the material was AMA'd into the system and
> away I went. When I started this project I was running on an older dell
> laptop (D830 /w7-64/ 4gb ram/ USB 3 drives etc) and once I got into the
> project things started running slow. Sometimes I would have to wait
> 20-30 seconds when I lifted a section of video out of the sequence and
> generally things took a moment or two to 'have a think about things'.
> Certainly not a situation you would want to be in with a client sitting
> next to you! The sequences vary in length between 15 and 50 minutes and
> are 2 camera sequences v1/v2 with cuts every few seconds (as in no 10
> minute shots)
>
> Having since upgraded to a more powerful machine the same problems exist
> but are just quicker. We have also started using a C300 on the shoots,
> but there was no problem with that as, as I mentioned, the C300 and
> XF305 material is the same in codec and file structure. Since the
> project was started with AMA'd material then I decided to just go with
> it till the project was finished. But in hindsight I feel I would have
> been better to have transcoded from day 1.
>
> Another project where I have been using file based cameras (12 camera
> theatre show with JVC, GoPro, Canon and Sony cams) I transcoded the
> rushes overnight on the first day and I've not had any problems. If you
> have the space to transcode to DNX120 or 185 (depending on if you shot
> at 35 or 50 mbs on the C300) then I can't see a need to go back to the
> AMA material except in case of grading emergency! But I've not needed
> that even in some extreme circumstances - (http://vimeo.com/39797864) )
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Marcus Dawson
> --
> www.bigideasproductions.co.uk
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment