Saturday, October 20, 2012

[Avid-L2] ISIS 5K connections Q

 


Dear list,

I'm considering using the current promotion to upgrade to an ISIS 5000 (from Lanshare EX3 Fibre) and am wondering about connection speeds.

99% of my work is offline editorial in DNxHD36 or DNxHD115, with up to 100 hours of footage for a project. So a 16TB model would likely accomodate that rather easily (100 hours of DNxHD175 is around 7.5TB). I occasionally do some TV work where I work in DNxHD185 all the time (I usually work from single internal SATA drives for that, not from the Lanshare).

My VAR suggested two options:

1. connect my main system dual-1G to two of the 1G ports on the base model, connect two other systems over single 1G

2. add the optional 10G port to the ISIS crate, add a 10G card to my main system, and connect the other two systems over dual-1G.

The Q is whether in your collective opinions it would be wiser to spring for the extra cash to add a 10G connection option.

Also, since I'm used to working with Fibre on the Lanshare, would the switch to 1G ethernet feel as a slowdown? Does dual-1G make much of a difference for general editing, or is it more relevant when it comes to copying speeds?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Job

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment