Saturday, September 1, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Audio Quality and Sync from Cannon 5D into mc?

 

Yeah. I've got a Canon 5D and the audio definitely sucks no matter what. I suppose it would be a LITTLE more useable from a mixer, but I wouldn't trust it.

I also think that the lip synch is off INTERNALLY on that camera, at least on mine with my firmware version. I would guess that it's off by sometimes 3 frames. So whenever possible, I get subjects to clap their hands in front of their face each time I start recording when I'm shooting interviews with it. Then, even if you're using internally recorded audio, you can resync it. And even if they forget to clap every once in a while, you'll still know the offset for your camera. And even if you're using PluralEyes for syncing, you can still do an offset to compensate for the sync problem. I HAVEN'T ever experienced sync DRIFT though... just sync that's off by the same amount through the whole shot.

Interviews with the 5D need to be treated VERY carefully because of the narrow focus, sometimes I get footage back where the nose is in focus but not the eyes. Or the shirt is in focus, but not the face.

Steve Hullfish
contributor: www.provideocoalition.com
author: "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction"

On Aug 31, 2012, at 8:23 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I searched but didn't find the thread I'm thinking of. I believe Oliver mentioned various legacy format issues with audio sync and some DSLRs. I believe the Panny HVR-200 was known to have some audio sync issues with it's files and perhaps DSLRs like Cannon 5D. We are shooting standups with the 5D and they use to do double system and sometimes it was off. Now they are sending the audio to the camera from the mixer. Is the internal audio on the Canon 5D problematic as far as quality and sync? We also have the audio files to use for backup. Trying to remember what gotchas I've read about on the L-2. You now it's not until I get bit in the arse that I remember something somewhere somehow might be of use.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment