Saturday, September 22, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: OT: Macbook Pro Ethernet check? Solution?

 

Well back at home and it is working on my home ethernet with no adjustment and the 10.0.1.1 DNS server is light grey. I'm going to say the problem is solved, at least with my computer, but the problem that caused the problem is me. Oh well progress not perfection some days I'm just a headphone separator, IDtenT or PICNIC moment.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@...> wrote:
>
> yes, the light grey are the addresses that are picked up from a DHCP server. The black numbers are manual entries. So things are working properly for your laptop at work. The question is if your laptop will automatically pick up the DNS address from the DHCP server at home, or if you are going to have to manually enter those (for whatever mysterious reason). If that becomes the new reality for that laptop, that DHCP works fine everywhere but at home, then that's when you may want to try the Locations thing. Make a location called normal, where all the settings are for DHCP like the are now while you are at work, and then make one called Home, that has the manually entered DNS addresses. Then each day (night) when you get home you will have to go into your control panel and switch it to Home. Then when you leave you have to go in a switch it back. PITA.
>
> If that is the case then my suggestion is that you try a new router for your home.
>
> Jay
>
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 11:58 AM, johnrobmoore wrote:
>
> > Okay when I got to work with my dns server set to 10.0.1.1 I could not log on over ethernet. When I checked the network ethernet advanced tab DNS I saw the numbers for 2 dns servers that one of which was the server number I removed last night. I went back and deleted the 10.0.1.1 address which was dark black text and after tabbing around the field was filled with the 2 dns server numbers from the advanced tab DNS only now the text was light grey. So I'm pretty sure a few weeks back I inadvertently manually entered one of the dns server numbers for our new microwave internet at work and that has over ridden the automatic discovery of dns servers ever since then. Now that I have erased the manually entered number it seems to automatically find the dns servers for work. I assume when I get home the same will happen and the dns server will revert to 10.0.1.1 only I expect it to be in light grey text. It seems the convention is light grey is automatic and dark black is manually entered addresses.
> >
> > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@> wrote:
> >>
> >> The DNS entry is the address for the computer to find the DNS server. The DNS server is where the name/address translation takes place for the WWW. So when you type in avid.com that request is sent to the DNS server that looks up the public IP address of the Avid website and then directs your web browser there. So if you have the wrong IP address entry for the DNS server then you get no name to address translation and no connection to locations on the internet. And that's the basic form.
> >>
> >> Jay
> >>
> >> On Sep 21, 2012, at 1:16 AM, johnrobmoore wrote:
> >>
> >>> Well everything is talking now even my Tek Scope. I know when I checked in the locations the only thing there is automatic. I was also informed that the reason I was still able to access the network printer is that it doesn't use the same protocol and it was suggested it was probably connecting through bonjour. I guess that would also suggest that my ability to log into other computers at home is that doesn't work on the DNS protocol or would that be TCP/IP? I don't know I think I remember the mac just finding the printer or I might have run a driver cd that came with it. It's curious that I have never had the problem before this week. But as I mentioned perhaps I inadvertently entered a dns server when I was trouble shooting the network at work a few weeks back but I think I would have noticed this issue sooner. Maybe I haven't logged in at home until this weeks since my network trouble shooting at work. I'm sure it will boil down to a problem with the Head Phone Separator. ;-) I'll post what happens when I'm back at work tomorrow. I was already to just buy a new MBP with this as an excuse. Oh well at least I know how to fake a break down to convince my wife when I need a new computer.
> >>>
> >>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> the DNS should get set by the DHCP server. But if you aren't getting the correct DNS that's the problem. Manually add the entry for home and see if when you go to work if the work ones get picked up also. It should run through the IPs until it finds a good one. But it may slow things a bit. Or you can try the Locations thing. I've never done it myself, but you should be able to set presets for different locations. One for home that has manual entry and one for work that is DHCP. But I think that when you change locations you have to manually change it in that pull down menu in the control panel.
> >>>>
> >>>> jay
> >>>>
> >>>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 12:38 AM, johnrobmoore wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> So it turned out the DNS Server was wrong although it worked at work. I looked at the functioning MacBook and the DNS Server was 10.0.1.1 which is the same as the Router 10.0.1.1. On my MacBook Pro it was set to som 6.xxx.xxx.xx type of number. When does the DNS Server get set and how does it get changed. I don't recall doing anything with it but I did do some network trouble shooting with my MBP a few weeks back when they switched over the ISP service to a microwave setup. I didn't get logged into that correctly but maybe I entered some data manually that stuck. Well It's working now but how have I been successfully bouncing between work network and home network without ever setting these things up?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@> wrote:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Thanks I just found it at the top pull down menu. Mine just has automatic. Perhaps adding a new untitled location will help and I'll check the dns server.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@> wrote:
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> Locations is located in System Perfs / Network in a dropdown at the center top (I think).
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> Also, Bogdan has a good idea. When at home go see what the DNS server settings are for one of the other laptops. And then on your laptop select the service for you ethernet port and go to Advanced and then DNS and manually enter those addresses and see what happens.
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> Jay
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> On Sep 20, 2012, at 12:33 PM, johnrobmoore wrote:
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> I'm on a Mac and I looked in the system prefs for network but don't see anything that relates to location. Where might I find that control on mbp os 10.6.8? I tried spotlight with network location but nothing came up.
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Tim Selander <selander@> wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>> Hi John,
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>> haven't read the whole thread, so you may have found the answer.
> >>>>>>>>> But a few months ago I had the same trouble as you. Turned out I
> >>>>>>>>> could fix it by changing the Network Location (where you set up
> >>>>>>>>> network configurations for home, work, public wifi, etc). Just a
> >>>>>>>>> guess, but I figure some file that held the settings got
> >>>>>>>>> corrupted. Made a new Location, and all was well.
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>> Tim Selander
> >>>>>>>>> Tokyo, Japan
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>> On 9/20/12 2:39 PM, John Moore wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>> f the cable is good why would my MBP work on the ethernet connection at work but not at home. Nothing has changed on my Airport base station at home. At least I've done nothing to change it. Any suggestions?
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> ------------------------------------
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> >>>>>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> ------------------------------------
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> >>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ------------------------------------
> >>>
> >>> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment