Saturday, July 14, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Color Correction Scope problem Symphony 6.0

In my setup (that I did not purchase myself, mind you), I use a Flanders
17" LCD. The built in scopes are decent and getting better all the time due
to firmware updates by FSI. It's fps refresh isn't a full 1:1, but it isn't
dependent on CPU, so it updates when you move sliders. The FSI also has a
handy alarm feature that can light up at over-IRE values. It works, too.
And a set of audio dBFs meters, and a phase scope, and an RGB parade, and
a...

Of course, in the machine room is a handy Tek 7000 which I rely on during
layoffs.

I'm not a heavy colorist, more of an online/QC guy, so what I'm using both
of these for is mostly checks and balances. YMMV...

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM, johnrobmoore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Steve I'm going to quote you when I tell my wife when I buy the Tek 8300
> scope which by your math should be more like $12.00/day. I just can't
> handle the limitations of one DSP on the Tek 5200. I guess I'll still be
> saying it's only $12.00/day in a muffled voice because I will be sleeping
> in the dog house but it will be worth it. Sometimes I wish I didn't like
> Tek scopes so much. At least I built the dog house extra big. ;-)
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@...> wrote:
> >
> > Obviously, I'm with Terry on not using the internal scopes.
> >
> > The internal scopes of Symphony/MC are especially hideous because even
> when they're working PROPERLY, they don't update AT ALL until you release
> the mouse. On some software, I know this is user selectable, so you can opt
> to use more horsepower on the scopes updating, but I don't think that's
> true with Avid. This updating thing can literally add HOURS to a show. I
> can do a correction with real scopes in 15 seconds that will take you 5
> minutes to do. At some point the value of some external scope becomes
> evident unless your own professional time is nearly worthless. Over 4
> years, a $6,000 scope at 50 weeks a year is only $30 a week... $6 a day!
> (And a scope should last for a lot longer than 4 years). So if that scope
> saves me a minute an hour it's paid for... obviously the math doesn't quite
> work out like that, but screwing up a single job in QC delivery can easily
> cost you that much alone in extra work, expense, shipping and lost client
> confidence.
> >
> > If you're serious about color correction, you really need real scopes.
> The Avid ones are SOOO low res and small, without the ability to zoom or
> basically do anything that real scopes can do. Saying you can't afford $6 a
> day to be a professional sends a very clear signal.
> >
> > Steve Hullfish
> > contributor: www.provideocoalition.com
> > author: "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction"
> >
> >
> > On Jul 14, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Terence Curren wrote:
> >
> > > I never use the scopes in the Symphony, so I can't say for sure.
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment