Saturday, July 14, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: Color Correction Scope problem Symphony 6.0

 

Thanks Patrick. I'll take a look at building outboard scopes on the cheap as you suggest, since I have both my previous MacPro tower and a copy of Scopebox. If I can use them to construct an interim solution until I can afford a more robust one, that would be great.

--David

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Inhofer <elists@...> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@...>wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Over 4 years, a $6,000 scope at 50 weeks a year is only $30 a week... $6
> > a day!
> >
> You can put together a great set of external scopes for half that price
> using Ultrascopes or Vidscopes. And almost half-again if you re-purpose on
> an old Mac with Scopebox.
>
> All those give you real-time processing, no line skipping. All with
> multiple simultaneous scopes.
>
> I just don't see any reasonable way to use only the Avid interface (no
> external scopes, no external monitoring) for color grading - other than
> education where learning the concepts is more important than executing
> within a budget.
>
> And yes, I'm seeing some of the bugginess described by the OP in MC6 and
> Symphony 6. I'll click to a new shot and the grade from the previous shot
> 'sticks around'. Visual updating of internals scopes and monitoring is
> non-existant until the mouse is released... and even then it takes a few
> moments for the display to update. Yet the video card continually updates
> the image (which suggests Avid wasn't designed to use the 3-up display on
> its own).
>
> Related to this is using the Avid Artist Color surface... does anyone else
> agree that it is mostly useless in the HSL Offset tab?
>
> I can't dial-in that damn surface to give me any kind of responsiveness
> when making small moves - and it flies off the handle when making quick
> moves. Very frustrating. Especially knowing how responsive and smooth it is
> in Apple Color.
>
> On the plus side: It is interesting how that surface controls Curves. It's
> slower than using a mouse - which I find it gives me a bit more time to
> think and see exactly where I'm passing through as I'm manipulating points.
> I guess the Artist Color's value in Curves depends if you're in 'get it
> done now!' mode versus 'what can with do with this image?' mode.
>
> - patrick
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment