Saturday, July 21, 2012

[Avid-L2] Fun with relinking AMA media after consolidate, no really fun?

 

Fun with relinking AMA media after consolidate, no really fun?

So I have successfully taken my sequence mixed with dnx220 and xdcam ex 35Mbits ama clips and consolidated the ama clips with 30 frame handles.  For fun I decided to take a copy of the consolidated sequence and see if I could relink back to the original ama clips.  Fortunately the unity workspace contained a subfolder in the avidmediafiles/mxf/mycomputer that only contained the xdcam ex clips I consolidated so it was easy to take them offline.  I mounted the external drive with the ama'd clips original media.  Traditional relinking didn't work, no surprise here as there were no tape names added.  I then opened the bin that contains all the ama'd clips in it.  With the external drive mounted opening the bin all the original ama clips were online except for one cards worth.  This was a known issued and highlighting the offline clips and going under file: link to ama volume created a new bin and also mounted the original clips in the all ama bin.  I
then deleted the newly created bin.  Now with everything online I place the sequence in the same bin and highlighted everything and relinked to selected items and it worked.  One issue I had was in the original ama clips bin all the clips were master clips except one which was a subclip.  For some reason when I highlighted everything I got an error.  Highlighting everything but the subclip and the relink worked without issue.  Not sure what there is about this subclip that is a problem or how it got in the bin as a subclip but I will look into that.

To summarize the offline was done with transcoded clips to 20:1 from the original ama clips bin.  Then for online bringing back the original clips bin online and the then opening the sequence bin brought those clips online.  The neat thing is that even after a consolidate I was able to relink back to the original ama clips as noted above.  No tape names were added by the AE.  Maybe I'm just lucky but this was kind of cool and so far I don't see any wrong shots.  I'm on sndx mac 4.0.5 but I think in 5.x and later or is it just V6 I would be able to just have the ama clips bin open and the clips highlighted with the sequence in it's own bin and choose relink to selected in all open bins or something like that.  I'm not near a later system right now to refresh my memory.  Curious if anybody has an idea why the ama subclip causes errors on the relink?

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment