Saturday, June 2, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Moving an FCP Project to Avid

 

I took over a doc that was started in FCP once.

Had an AE bring all source footage into Avid, ignoring the FCP media. Used Automatic Duck to bring across the cuts we needed to work from. As this footage had been synced in FCP, the syncing did not travel across to MC, so it meant a manual conform of the three most important sequences. Took us three days or so. Weeks of happy Avid editing after that.

I found that all the footage that had been transcoded from Panasonic P2 in FCP (to some non-cross-platform-version of DVCPRO-HD Quicktime codec) had suffered from a slight gamma shift, when compared to the original sources.

That was one of the many instances I found FCP to be unreliabe when it came to color levels, by the way.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 2, 2012, at 2:32, David Dodson <davidadodson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
> So I'm cutting a doc with about 70 hours of mostly Epic footage (with some Panasonic). It's a stereo project. But the show was set up on FCP before I came on board. Needless to say, I'm not an FCP fan. The bigger the project, the more glitchy and the bigger a pain in the ass FCP is.
>
> I'm thinking about porting the whole thing over to Avid. So is this an Automatic Duck situation? How would I handle turning everything into MXF's? Or what happens to all my FCP media?
>
> I'm just sick of crashes. And save errors. And out of memory errors. And all the other little annoyances you get on FCP that you never get with Avid. Mostly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
>
>
>
>
> David Dodson
> davidadodson@sbcglobal.net
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment