Saturday, May 5, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: The civility of the AlvidL (Was: Effect ordering question)

 

Okay I just have to say this…

One of the first things I noticed when I switched over to FCP a few years back was the difference in tone between the AvidL and numerous FCP lists and forums. I have been a member of the AvidL (although lately mostly a lurker) since the mid to late 90's. When I switched to FCP a few years ago I looked for resource on the interwebs for FCP and was a bit shocked by the tone of the posters. If anything negative was mentioned about FCP there seemed to always be a certain level of flaming in those places towards anyone who would have to audacity to mention FCP in a negative light. On the contrary I just posted something negative about Avid and it sparked an informative and CIVIL conversation wherein I learned a few things. Good on ya AvidL, for being professionals and having a wonderful and informative conversation on the subject at hand.

I have truly missed all of you!

Mike
M2 Digital Post Inc.
San Diego, Ca.

On May 5, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Shirley Gutierrez wrote:

> I myself still find Avid effect deficient in many areas, and in fact, in some respects they've gone backwards. I haven't checked out rolling titles recently, so correct me if I'm now wrong, but I remember having, and then losing, the ability to do real time rolls, and also the ability to soft crop them. It would be nice if that came back.
>
> Shirley
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tony Quinsee-Jover <tony@hdheaven.co.uk>
> To: Avid-L2 <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Fri, May 4, 2012 11:59 pm
> Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Effect ordering question
>
> Well, you could look at the DS model, however we've already heard this week that
> it's beyond 99% of users needs and you can do 'everything you need to' on
> Symphony.
>
> Tony
>
> Sent by magic over t'interweb
>
> On 5 May 2012, at 06:31, Shirley Gutierrez <guanacaa@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Mike,
> >
> >
> > How would you want it updated in this instance? I've had the same problem with
> things key type effects instructions being applied to lower layers, but in
> general, Avid seems to do a better job of giving me nesting (i.e. restricting)
> options when it comes to this stuff than does FCP. Can you give us an idea of
> how this could work better for you? Forward thinking design ideas are always
> welcome!
> >
> >
> > Shirley
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Michael Towe <L2mail@m2digitalpost.com>
> > To: Avid-L2 <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Fri, May 4, 2012 9:04 pm
> > Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Effect ordering question
> >
> >
> > Thanks Terry! That worked. So it looks like the effect ordering, and how it
> > effects lower layers, is still as it always was. Wish Avid would have updated
> > that. Things like this, or not being able to apply say an animatte, and then a
>
> > resize to move the whole enchilada (and not take the background with it) just
> > need to be updated. However for just straight cutting I see Avid is just a
> fast
> > as it's always been. It feels like old time to be back in the interface, and
> in
> > a good way.
> >
> > Thans again,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > M2 Digital Post Inc.
> > San Diego, CA.
> >
> >
> > On May 4, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Terence Curren wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Step inside the spectra matte and apply the color correction to the actual
> > shot you are keying. Hopefully it doesn't mess up your key. (One of the things
> I
> > miss about Ultimatte was the ability to color correct after the matte)
> >>
> >> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Towe <L2mail@...> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Hey L'ers,
> >>>
> >>> Back in the Avid seat again as I am adding Avid back into the shop and I
> > have an effects ordering question. Back in the Meredian/Adrinaline days I
> never
> > found a way round this but thought maybe something might have changed while I
> > was away. Basically I want to apply and effect and only have it effect the
> layer
> > it is on, not the layers below. Here's an example�
> >>>
> >>> I have a background on V1 and a green screen shot on V2. I am using Spectra
> > Matte to key it out (Boy did I ever miss Spectra Matte) But now that I have
> the
> > key pulled I want to add a color correction to the keyed shot on V2. When I do
>
> > the the correction applies through the stack to V1 as well. Is there any way
> to
> > isolate that correction to just V2 and not have it pass to the background on
> V1?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks in advance,
> >>>
> >>> Mike
> >>>
> >>> M2 Digital Post Inc.
> >>> San Diego, CA.
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment