Saturday, May 19, 2012

[Avid-L2] OT: Mac server slot config question

 

In the MacPro workstation I have running as a server there are 4 PCIe slots. 2 x16, and 2 x4 slots. The graphics card is sitting in one of the x16 slots. Ideally I would want my I/O cards in the fastest slots, my Fiber card and SAS card. Since it's a server, and I mostly remote in to tend to it, do I really need to have a card like a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT? And do I really need to have a graphics card using one of my x16 slots? Can I get some lowly graphics card and put it in one of the x4 slots? I mean the workstations always show up with the cards in Slot 1, and I never questioned moving it before. Would I be ok doing that? And does anyone have a suggestion for a card I could use in a x4 slot?

Thank you,
Jay

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment