Saturday, March 3, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Shooting specs

A world that so alien to us in the sane PAL world.... :)

It would seem to me that the most obvious different between the video
people are used to and the 24P look they seek is the P part of it. The
extra 5.97 frames per second hardly counts for much - especially given the
way our eyes play tricks on us.


Dylan Reeve
http://dylanreeve.com/


On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Wilson Chao <wilsonchao@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Hey Dan,
>
> Funny story for you: Last year I got involved in the post of a
> big-budget prime-time PBS show. The E.P. told he'd shot in 24p, and
> the director and the DP were all very proud of the "film look." (I
> wasn't involved in the shooting, only the post.)
>
> So anyway I start in by backing up the files (KiPro & Red) & I'm
> not paying too much attention to the content. But I'm sorta curious
> about how the files will play on different CPUs, so I put a couple of
> files on a flash drive and take it to a friend's 3-year-old MacBook
> for a look-see. So I'm playing some KiPro files looking for dropped
> frames and a light bulb goes off over my head - WTF, this doesn't look
> like 24 fps! And sure enough, I go back to my Avid and step
> frame-by-frame through the slate, and clear as day, there are 30
> distinct frames in each second.
>
> Yup, they shot the whole thing (KiPro from a Varicam, and Red) at
> 30fps, not 24fps. And the yup, the E.P., the director, the DP, and
> the AC were all looking at monitors on the set and never noticed it.
> Just last month I ran into the AC on a set, and he said "Hey, I heard
> that you think we shot the [redacted] show at 30fps, not 24fps." I
> said "I don't think, I know." And I showed him a PDF I'd made of 30
> frame grabs from a slate.
>
> So that tells you what people "like" about "24Pness." Sheesh.
>
> Wilson
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Dan McCabe <danlist@bestmail.us> wrote:
> > I think Bouke's point is that shooting 24P in general is dopey
> > unless you have European partners/markets or theater release in
> > mind. And an interesting point it is. I guess my question would
> > be how much of the "film look" that people in the States like is
> > the cadence of 3:2 pull down and not really 24Pness? It's the way
> > folks have watched film on TV in the States forever.
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment