Saturday, March 10, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] AMA relink with Canon 5D files

 

My experience and general feedback I have read are the exact opposite -
AMA is more dependable maintaining the proper gamma levels than
traditional import where there is a lot more involvement of the QT engine.

I just calibrated my monitor using X-Rite colorimeter and generated the
video test signals using AMA'd files. Confirmed it using a Leader HD scope.

I would relink AMA then transcode to what ever codec you prefer (DNX or
uncompressed). For Canon 7D/5D DNX185 should be more than sufficient.

.02

On 3/10/2012 10:13 AM, pierrehaberer wrote:
> I've posted that question on the forum, but there are a lot of knowledgable people here who don't necessarily read them. So I'll add it here too.
>
> I'm reaching the end of a film cut on 5.5. Film was shot on Canon 5D MkII, then all the files came on two hard drives on which each card had been copied. We linked all those folders to bins (one bin per camera card) using AMA, then each clip was transcoded to DNxHD36, one bin at the time. Hundred hours of footage.
>
> Now the edit is done, and it's time to go back to the original camera files. It's my first film shot on a 5D, but I followed a similar workflow on several films before which were shot on XDCam and on which everything went smoothly: Link via AMA / Transcode to DNX36 / Edit / Relink final sequence to original XDCam / Export Tiff sequence for color grading on Colorus.
>
> But I just talked to the colorist and he said that AMA for 5D on Media Composer 5.5 is a bit flakey because it modifies the luma range of the picture. Fine, I can use MC6 just for the relink. I need to export tiff files that would have the full 000-255 range: what is the best way to do that when I relink my final sequence? Any settings (project settings, etc) I should be aware of? What settings for export?
>
> Thanks to all the AMA experts out there!
> Pierre
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment