Saturday, March 31, 2012

[Avid-L2] Beta-SP BVW-70/75 passing pluge?

 

I remember back in the world of composite linear bays that when recording to BetaSp the video was usually clipped at 0IRE when recorded.  You could adjust the TBC controls to playback super black levels but if you had a perfectly calibrated bay and recorded a feed that went below 0 upon playback it would clip at 0.  I was told there was an adjustment in the deck that could be set to allow negative black like -7 IRE but if you did that then to top end of the signal would be clipped at 100 IRE.  Sort of a choice of where to set the dynamic range.  Does this make sense?  I'm pretty sure that was/is the case.  I ask because today I spot checked some out of house dubbs to betasp and the levels playing back on my digibeta were spot on and I was really impressed.  Not only did the video show pluge perfectly but all the vector dots were in the boxes very centered and even the 4 channels of audio were at -20 which was really amazing to me.  It was a treat
to see a facility that actually had a well aligned signal path and beta-sp deck for a change.  Now that I think about it pluge is all above 0IRE anyways so it shouldn't get clipped but man my hats off to the dub house engineers.  So you don't need firewire to get a proper signal or sdi if it's in the right hands.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment