Saturday, August 6, 2011

[Avid-L2] Re: Too Good A Job Issue?

 

John,
Ok, I would like to add a story, and propose an example or 2 for a solution. When I first started as an online editor running a gvg 200-2 switcher in a beta suite with a cmx 340x (boy do I feel old), I had an agency client that always kept me in the suite until the wee hours of the morning. On this particular job, they had me building 10 layer compositions on d2 (analog composite...yuck!). It was about 3am and we are on our final title. They wanted it to be green. All 3 of them could not agree on which shade of green. Finally, one of them says he is in control and will decide the shade of green. I turn to the switcher (client is behind me) and reach for the hue control as he is saying "a little more blue, little more...little more..keep going, Perfect!" If only I had actually touched the hue control on the switcher, the color would have actually been changing.

Here are my suggestions..send them exactly the same thing as you have already and I bet they approve it. The same as not actually doing a dissolve at 15 frames as previously mentioned.

Last Night i was watching "Damages". This is a legal-eagle series on netflix starring glen close. In the 2nd episode, there is a terrific murder scene which is exactly what you are looking for. It is grainy, high contrast, blown out colors...I mean it would be perfect for your needs, give it a look. If you do not have netflix, let me know and I will send you a couple screen shots with my iphone (just kidding, I do not have an iphone, but it seemed an appropriate comment in this thread). I can send some shots just the same with my Droid.

Hope this advice provides laughs and help.

Jonathan

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> Wow you got me a googling here. So I bet we've all worked with producers/director who clearly believe their own press and that they must be of the mindset that they fall into the catagory of:
> "than which nothing greater can be thought". I've definitely worked with young MTV producers who could think of all kinds of things that we should try in the edit bay but couldn't explain their thoughts in any tangible way that pointed in a direction of making an edit choice. The arm waving, literally waving the arms, in the edit bay to describe how the transition should look still sends chills up my spine and makes me laugh at the same time. So I guess I've been striving for a "a gritty look which nothing grittier can be thought of. Now my brain hurts and I'm stuck in an infinite loop.
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Jim Feeley <jfeeley@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes:
> >
> > The app is named John Moore's Ontological Negative. John could start a
> > web page where he lists his Moore-ON clients.
> >
> > Jim
> > Jim Feeley
> > jfeeley@
> >
> >
> >
> > On Aug 5, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Gajit wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Is there an app for that client?
> > >
> > > jonathan
> > >
> > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Tony Capelli <tcapelli@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I get a response questioning why one side of the split screen says
> > > "Not Desaturated."
> > > >
> > > > Classic!
> > > >
> > > > Tony
> > > > Sent from my iPhone!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Aug 4, 2011, at 4:44 PM, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I get a response questioning why one side of the split screen
> > > says "Not Desaturated."
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment