Saturday, August 6, 2011

[Avid-L2] Re: Sony F3 s-log lut

 

> Chris wrote:
> I believe true luts do much more than
> simply assign points on curves.

I'm not convinced of that for the camera profiles. Yes, if you want the inverse of the gamma adjustment, then LUTs are nice. The reality is you are going to change it creatively anyway. I do some Alexa work in FCP. There I have the Nick Shaw filters (he's reverse-engineered these from ARRI LUTs) and I also have the official ARRI LUT for Color.

The Color LUT makes life easy, but it doesn't necessarily change the grade I would get without it. Plus it would be a real PITA if I had footage from mixed camera sources and profiles. In the case of MC, I wouldn't want the LUT to be loaded into the source setting, though, if that somehow baked in that setting before it hit the internal color correction pipeline.

- Oliver

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment