Saturday, July 30, 2011

[Avid-L2] Don't get burned on digital cut tip. Sony deck aborts edit but Avid marches on.

 

I know better than this but almost got burned on an HDCam output.  Fortunately while spot checking the tape found that the first 3 plus minutes of the output were out of sync by 8 seconds.  I had done pickup insert edits starting from 3 plus minutes on and all those sections were fine.  Why were the first 3 minutes out?  I had to reember that Avid doesn't care if the record machine actually goes into record and it rolls the timeline even if the record machine aborted the edit.  The Sony machines will recue and make the edit again on their own and unless you are watching the output of the record machine you might not notice.  The nine seconds ish off in sync was the 2nd preoll and reedit time.  Because my main monitor was showing the avid output I didn't see anything odd.  I feed the black magic ultrascope with the record machine's output but I just missed this glitch.  I really wish Avid would acknowledge the record machine strobe that tells it
the machine actually went into record.  The signal use to and probably still exists in the RS-422 stream.  On the ISC/GVG/editware you could enable whether or not the editor listened for record confirmation.  This would be something easy to fix Avid.  I was lucky I caught it.  I do know better but bouncing around in the freelance world I don't always have all the monitoring options I would like.  Hope this saves or reminds others of this potential glitch.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment