Saturday, April 23, 2011

[Avid-L2] Proper practices for file based offline/online

 

Just trying to "Keep It Simple Stupid" KISS when it comes to file based work flows.  I don't think there is a one flow fits all solution but I'm trying to sort out a simple approach overall when people are planning to offline and online later.  My gut feeling is AMA is not the best approach in these situations given the clips going offline for various reasons and an overall lack of stability.  Are there any formats that will only work through AMA?  Are there certain formats that work better if imported through ama as opposed to a traditional import.  P2 comes to mind with the ability to turn off ama and do the original P2 import procedure.  I seem to recall posts about more metadata coming through with ama but I'm not sure.  I haven't had to sort out too many odd work flows recently so I'm trying to keep up on the gotchas that exist.

Bottom line if I tell people to always import to avid media is that the best method for assuring a proper conform later?  The allure of ama and no import is no doubt leading to more problematic onlines or is it?  Also mixed frame rate timelines seem to be a blessing and a curse when it comes to online, no batch import for example where the solution is to decompose the imports and then create a project for each frame rate used seems a bit complex but I assume that is working.  I hope others can shed some light on the proper offline check list in the brave new mixed format/media world.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment