Saturday, April 24, 2010

[Avid-L2] P2 issues...stitched media offline

OK, I posted this on the Avid forums, and have gotten a couple suggestions. But I thought I'd try here too.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/83156.aspx

Basically (if you dont want to read the link)...

I have an interview that was shot with two cameras. I cut back and forth from those cameras to cover the pull ups I did to the interview. Both interviews were shot with P2, both are 30 min long, so both consist of multiple P2 files stitched together. SO...one of the interviews went offline. Not FULLY offline, the first of the P2 files is there, as I can see video for a few minutes, then I am hit with MEDIA OFFLINE. We have had issues with media files going offline, and found that a possible cause was more than 5000 files in the numbered folders in the MXF folder. We fixed that by making new numbered folders (3, 4, 5) and moving files there. And many previously offline files have returned, but not this interview.

NOW...interesting thing is that I have a copy of the media on ANOTHER set of drives at my home office. And this media is NOT offline. I have the whole interview clip. So how can I find ALL the MXF files that make up this clip so that I can bring those to the work drives? OR, how can we re-import the missing files into the work machine from the P2 card.

This is one failing I see with Avid MC...or maybe a lack of knowledge on how this is done. In FCP, you import the footage and it wraps it in QT and stitches the files together...into one large QT file. ANd if the file went offline, all you have to do is highlight the clip and hit BATCH CAPTURE, and FCP will reimport the footage, using the same clip in FCP but making a new QT. And this all syncs up. How can you recapture P2 in Avid so that a stitched clip will be whole again?

I have already trashed the databases...that brought a lot of media back online too...but not this one interview.

OK...odd thing. I can SEE the clip in the timeline. I can load the clip from the GROUP CLIP I made of it and the A camera. But if I try to click FIND BIN, I get an error.

"Could not select the clip (CLIP NAME) in bin (JJ INTERVIEW). The bin display setting are not selected."

So I can't locate a clip to do a REVEAL FILE. AND...stranger yet...when I open the MEDIA TOOL and search for the clip...all projects, all drives...IT ISN'T THERE! I can see it as part of this group, but I cannot find the separate clip, NOR the media on my home system.

Now, one suggestion was to match back to the original file in the group, then make a subclip, and try to reveal file from that. But Avid doesn't let you reveal file from subclips, group clips, or sequences.

Any ideas guys? I would REALLY like to have this second angle.

------------------------------------

Please donate to the Red Cross to help those in earthquake ravaged Chile: http://tinyurl.com/y8pgceq

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment