Sunday, March 21, 2010

Re: [FCP-L] Re: [Avid-L2] Semi-OT: DG delivery with Squeeze

On 20 Mar 2010, at 18:38, haventwoncrap wrote:

> Upper field first was actually a part of DG's spec for SD for a
> while - don't know if they've taken it out, but they definitely had
> it.

Well, let's just say that their transition from "turnkey hardware"
encoding to "whatever software" encoding was (cough) less than
smooth. In fact, it remains one of the larger clusterfucks I've
witnessed in a modern distribution system.

> When I was submitting tests to be approved for Dropbox, I did that
> and they got kicked back. I asked why and they told me "field-order
> problems". I changed the encoding preset to lower first and instant
> approval.

To the best of my knowledge, DG's ongoing approach to the whole
"software-based" encoding workflow has been to let people know when
something doesn't work, but offer no hard and fast solutions on how to
actually *make it right.* It seems a complete 180 degree flip-flop
from their rock solid hardware-based foundations and the people who
helped keep those running.

> I never got any flack from them for the "letterbox" - that version
> of Squeeze worked just fine.

I really don't know what to say about that. I'd be mighty curious to
see how those spots ended up looking "off the air" when actually
broadcast, because either they've figured out a method to analyze and
deal with malformed / non-spec files, or they've given up trying to
get everyone to submit properly formatted ones (which would be 99.97%
THEIR FAULT given what I've witnessed since this whole software-based
"Spot Box" fiasco began a few years back).

Hang on a sec...

Ok - I was curious to see if things had improved. They have not.
Here are prime examples:

http://forum.flip4mac.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=20&threadid=1367&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=4&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

http://forum.flip4mac.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=20&threadid=1367&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=5&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Two things to note here:

1) This is >>> S T I L L <<< basic, missionary-position NTSC video
we're talking about. Still. MPEG-2 Program streams. Standard
Definition. Stereo Audio. 4:3 FF or Letterbox. CC optional. It's
not like this shit has changed much in the past, oh, 15-25 years.

2) On Telestream's end, it's still just one guy emailing settings
templates one-at-a-time for a commercially available app to individual
users who are lucky enough to bitch to the right person in the right
forum at the right moment in time. All righty then.

[face palm] What part of the "distribution" concept is Telestream
having problems with?

> I still have my trusty preset that I used for about 50 encodes with
> no problems, if you need.

Thanks - but I'll stick with Episode (although I do use Squeeze for
some other non-broadcast stuff).

> Actually, there was one problem: a spot I submitted faded to black
> with about 15 frames of black at the tail, music fading off. DG
> kicked it back saying it was "not exactly 30 seconds", at which
> point I laughed and resubmitted.

Next time just tell them it's correct and intended as submitted, and
they will (or *should*) just note it in their log and send it as is.

> They are not exactly quality QC'ers...

They used to be - trust me. It was one of their hallmarks; nobody did
it better.

Let me do some more research and get back to this "Squeeze" thing.
I'll gather all the templates and specs they're distributing now and
compare them to what I know has been working for the past couple of
years using Episode.

-jimmy

--

BYTEmonkeys
Creativity for your Creative
http://bytemonkeys.tv
692 N. High St., Suite 304
Columbus, OH 43215
614.824.1685

------------------------------------

Please donate to the Red Cross to help those in earthquake ravaged Chile: http://tinyurl.com/y8pgceq

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment