Thursday, January 21, 2010

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Does anybody shoot pushes and pulls anymore?

Flame On! -Johnny Storm
John,

My favourite cameraman, Eric Rankin (not related to the reporter of the
same name but both great guys) may he RIP, only gave me pans, zooms,
pushes or pulls if they were motivated. You could hear the line in your
head while you first saw it. Then it was just a matter of picking up his
last take. Woe to the reporter who did not write the line to match. But
just in case he held each end for an extra 5 seconds.

Less experienced camerapeople either give you the unmotivated ,WTF was
that for?, or the please stop soon? anytime now? somewhere? anywhere?
forget it I could cover the entire item with this damned POS.

Eric also gave me roomtone, great sequences, better audio than most
audio guys, great lighting even when he did not have time and many
smiles as an editor. What is roomtone? Look it up kiddies.

John sausage stuffing, turd polishing, whatever you call it, when it
stops being fun its time to change something. Swapping the keyboard and
tablet for a shotgun and a bear trap might not be a bad idea.

Nuff said. -Stan Lee

D(damn i miss him)D

John Moore wrote:
>
>
> I remember the days of shuttling through field tapes on 3/4 and I
> could always find a usable zoom in or zoom out. It really wasn't that
> difficult IIRC. Since I'm doing more online these days I'm always
> butting my head against the static shot that someone has put a move
> on, to give it a little life etc... Don't people shoot zoom ins and
> outs anymore? I find it hard to believe they don't exist on the field
> tapes and if they do why aren't they used in my final online
> sequence? I find the moves forced on these shots rival the image
> quality of maybe a squeeze zoom or the A-51 image quality. I know I
> need to order another case of "shut up" and just keep shoveling but
> really what's the deal? Is it time to borrow Bob's shot gun? But do
> I go postal on the camera folks or the offline guys or both? Man I
> need a nap. Hey you cameramen get off my yard!!!! ;-)
>
> John Moore
>
> Barking Trout Productions
>
> Studio City, CA
>
> bigfish@pacbell.net <mailto:bigfish%40pacbell.net>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

--
David Dawkins
780-905-9121
dawk2@shaw.ca

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Please donate to the Red Cross to help those in earthquake ravaged Haiti: http://www.redcross.org/en/donatemoney

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment