Saturday, January 9, 2010

[Avid-L2] Re: Making the DX move - Just Prep

I can understand the video working because you never decomposed the sequence/ consolidated the sequence so the show reference clips will give you the original captured clips for the video. The audio must just import based on samples and not time code, just like a QT import starts at the first frame without reading the time code. Although I believe I read that there is time code support for QT imports in 4.x.(Someone else should confirm or deny this) BWF files ask for what the time code is on import IIRC.

Sounds like you're on the right track. The question would be what if you now take another SD sequence and modify it to HD will it then relink to your already captured HD clips.

If that relinks work what happens if you make a sequence or sequences in the sd project of a group of the source clips. This would assure all the source material is included even if it hasn't been cut into a sequence. Do the same Reference clip capture and audio import. Now will those clips relink to your SD modified to HD sequences?

I'm thinking of this strictly from a video editor perspective so I may be totally missing flaws the might effect the tracking of edgecode and all that other metadata associated with the flex file and film projects. Can you tell if the flex file type info is maintained? I don't know how SD to HD modification interacts with all that ancillary metadata. That's a question for Mr. 24P.com

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "j_mahavier" <jay_mahavier@...> wrote:
>
> Ok, so what am I doing wrong? Because this is seeming to be a lot easier than I was lead to believe. So before our new gear shows up I got my hands on a MojoDX and hooked it up to my box running MCv3.1.
>
> I did my regular log and digitize into the SD NTSC/23.976p project. I imported my 29.97/BWF audio files. I marked them up and synced. Then using those subclips I cut a short sequence together. I put that sequence in it's own bin.
>
> I then quit out of MC and took the SD media off-line. I then launched MC and opened a HD 1080/23.976 project. Opened that bin with the sequence in it. Selected and modified the format of the sequence to 1080/23.976. I then chose Show Reference Clips for the bin view. I chose the master clips and Batch Captured. I then Batch Imported the audio master clips. Result was the subclips and sequence are now on-line in HD, all in sync and frame accurate to the SD cut.
>
> I was told it would not be this easy. What am I doing wrong? I know it probably sounds asinine for me to say that, but really, what am I missing? What is going to go wrong with this method? How am I about to totally screw myself by doing this?
>
> Thank you,
> Jay
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm confused too. The imported audio is the variable I have little experience with. For the Video you can take a sequence cut in ntsc 23.976 and convert it to HD 23.976 and this will modify the souce code to 24 frame code the downconverts were made from. Then decompose the sequence and recapture from the masters to dnx 36. The issues of 30 fps based wave file imports from a Deva are unknown and very scary to me. Mommy make all these scary time code monsters go away!!!! If you need all the raw material that's a reason I could see to go back to you original capture bins and modify those. Please keep us informed on what seems to work Jay.
> >
> > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Dom Q. Silverio" <domqsilverio@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > I am missing something here. He is coming from 23.976 NTSC to
> > > 1080/23.976p @ DNX36.
> > > The frame count is the same.
> > >
> > > I think I misread something here.
> > >
> > >
> > > DQS
> > >
> > > phillipsm wrote:
> > > > I wish it were that easy! The metadata and everything around it is based on a 30fps base and is part of the clip internal metadata (MOB, etc.). Just switching the project over to HD will not work for 23.976/24 - only for formats that are of the same timecode/edit rate like 25 and 30.
> > > >
> > > > The START and END need to be within the :00 - :23 frame range. While your :00 workflow works for the START, it may not be true for the END. Also durations would need to adjusted because of the 2:3 pulldown relationship.
> > > >
> > > > You would need to export an ALE, adjust END to not be higher than :23. Don't include "duration" as part of the ALE, that will be recalculated from the import. Go back to the original V only master clips.
> > > >
> > > > Sound TC from your BWF would need to be considered as well. What was the original timecode rate used in production? If you import those into a 23.976/24 project, the timecode will be recalculated to a 24 frame source, but the original 30fps will be lost. If 30fps is the original rate, you are better positioned and halfway there. Keep your original BWF bins and import, make sure you duplicate START into SoundTC. The SoundTC continues to count as 30 even in a 23.976/24HD project, but this is how you will maintain the original TC and lists for later. Using The 30fps timecode in the START from a "project tab change" continues to count as 30, but with no consideration for pulldown - so EDL's will be off if START is used.
> > > >
> > > > Rebatch capture from the ALE, resync new subclips and your sources are fine... Sequences would need to be modified via the "modify command" then a relink done. Now... I have never tried the relink at the end to clips that are both tape based (picture) and import (BWF) so you may be entering new territory there... I remember this being done on "Gone Baby Gone" and it was painful.
> > > >
> > > > Michael
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Dom Q. Silverio" <domqsilverio@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Since they are the same frame rate,
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> Just change the project format to 1080p/23.976 and batch digitize
> > > >> away. The workflow is very similar to NTSC 30i to 1080i/59.94.
> > > >>
> > > >> Everything else will fall in to place.
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> Dom Q. Silverio
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@> wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >>> Ok, I'm told that we have our DX upgrades on order. Once I get them
> > > >>> in I'm going to want to move our current project from MXF 3:1 to
> > > >>> DNxHD36. Now the project is NTSC/23.976/FilmMatchback. All shots
> > > >>> were logged from DVCam downconverts of SR/23.976 camera tapes. Almost
> > > >>> all or our clips were logged starting at the even second (xx:xx:xx:
> > > >>> 00). All the clips are AutoSync to audio from the RAM disk from the
> > > >>> DEVA. We already have sequences cut of a bunch of the material.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Is batch digitizing those clips logged as SD into HD as easy as select
> > > >>> and batch digitize? Or do I need to modify the master clips to be HD
> > > >>> then batch digitize? Or do I need to export a ALE file and reimport
> > > >>> it? Am I going to need to resync all my footage? Will the cut
> > > >>> sequences relink and update?
> > > >>>
> > > >>> We will be moving from MC v3 to MC v4.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> If someone had suggestions or can point me to a link or a page in a
> > > >>> manual I would really appreciate it.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Thanks,
> > > >>> Jay
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>> ------------------------------------
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Everything you MUST know about Color Correction in one book: http://tinyurl.com/ColorCorectionforvideo Get your copy todayYahoo! Groups Links
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> > > >
> > > > Everything you MUST know about Color Correction in one book: http://tinyurl.com/ColorCorectionforvideo Get your copy todayYahoo! Groups Links
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dom Q. Silverio
> > >
> >
>


------------------------------------

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Everything you MUST know about Color Correction in one book: http://tinyurl.com/ColorCorectionforvideo Get your copy todayYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment