Friday, October 30, 2009

[Avid-L2] Apple HDV Codec Field Order?

I would like to start by thanking the Apple engineer who came up with the Apple "only" HDV codec.  How could you know that after a week of double shifts I wanted to stay at work till 5:30 am sorting out field order issues on a PC Avid SN classic.  Can someone tell me why the import field order into an Avid needs to be even not odd (which is the opposite of what most HD graphics are etc....)  If a qt is in the Apple HDV codec does that mean it was captured into FCP native through firewire?

Here is my problem.  A show was started in FCP then moved to Avid using Sebsky tool.  This was done on a Mac Avid.  The media was brought in already imported and then consolidated to the online Avid SN classic on PC.  Almost if not all the Sebsky'd clips have field order issues.  It is my understanding through bleery eyes that there is no PC QT codec for the Apple HDV, can someone confirm this?  The only way I could get to the original QTs was to open them in QT pro on my macbook pro and export them as animation or Avid Packed Codec.  I could not use DNX because of backwards compatabiliy of the new DNX codec to the old DNX on the symphony.  I know that is just a download thing and will suggest that fix for DNX.  Once I've converted the QTs to a PC friendly codec I found that they must be imported as lower field first to avoid the field order issue I'm seeing.  Is the Apple HDV codec really lower field normally or is my need for conversion
causing a field order swap?

Assuming the Sebsky tools conversion was done correctly will the source  time code reflected in the Avid timeline be an accurate to the original field tapes?  If so then I'm thinking it will be quicker to recapture of tape than have to import the entire QT clips.  Plus relinking the QT media seems to be problematic due to the typical Avid imported media issues when trying to relink or reconnect.

Lastly could anyone speculate on what video level differences I might expect if we do recapture off tape.  I can only imagine that the trip through QT import will yield different levels that a capture SDI off tape.  Hopefully that will be small sense I've already color corrected the show with the imported media.

Sorry for all the questions I haven't slept much in a week do to double shifts so I'm a little more frazzled tha usual.  TIA   I'm cross posting to both L's for advice.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Everything you MUST know about Color Correction in one book: http://tinyurl.com/ColorCorectionforvideo Get your copy todayYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment