Friday, September 25, 2009

Re: [Avid-L2] OT Apple to replace my 2Ghz MacBook, yes?

If you need Tiger to run older versions of eg Avid, it is possible to run it
from an external drive. As far as I know it is possible to run it from boot
camp so do it with an external drive. - OR - Run Avid on a boot camp
partition under Windows.


+46 73 789 73 42
kontakta.martin@gmail.com


On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 22:03, RT <huipro@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>
>
> Paul.
>
> Don't discount that Cardbus 34 slot so quickly. You asked about being
> future ready. Without it you will not be able to access HD via the MOJO
> DX or a range of other PCI-E devices, (including faster RAID storage).
> I doubt Tim has tested any of these.
>
> eSATA is only one of the tricks this express 34 slot can do (Sony
> SxS/AJA KiPro memory cards are another). There are more to come.
>
> Without it, and with only one Firewire port, you will be stuck in the past.
>
> FWIW, the stock 15" graphics card is not qualified either.
>
> http://www.avid.com/resources/qualified/MediaComposer-Qualified-Apple-Workstations.pdf
>
> At this point, I don't think I could recommend a Mac 15" at all.
>
> RT
>
>
> Paul Dougherty wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks Tim, that's especially helpful. BTW the 2009 MacBook Pro req OS
> > 10.5
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > >
> > >If you have Firewire 800, you will not miss the ExpressCard slot
> > >much. I tested DVCProHD material on my 2.16ghz 17" MacBook with
> > >USB, FW800 and eSata disks. With USB I got real time one or maybe
> > >two streams. (I can't remember, the test was over a year ago!)
> > >With eSata and FW I got one more stream than USB (i.e., 2 or 3).
> > >Things started choking on both fw800 and eSata after that.
> > >
> > >For straight file copies, eSata was significantly faster than
> > >FW800, but not for editing.
> > >
> > >As it turns out, I've only been editing SD stuff on the laptop
> > >since then...
> > >
> > >Tim Selander
> > >Tokyo, Japan
> > >
> > >Paul Dougherty wrote:
> > >> This question is made complicated and maybe a bit silly because it
> > >> hinges on options for using my MacBook Pro 15 for Avid editing which
> > >> I do a little now, but not in earnest.
> > >>
> > >> Here's the deal, my 3 year old MacBook Pro 2Ghz (ATY RadeonX1600)
> > >> keeps shutting down when running on a battery. Still under AppleCare
> > >> it has been serviced locally three times and twice by the Apple Depot
> > >> to no avail. Apple just offered me a replacement (15-inch, 2.53GHz,
> > >> Mid 2009) which does not have an ExpressCard slot and I'm guessing
> > >> has an inferior integrated gfx card.
> > >>
> > >> I've done some SD dv editing on the MacBook, it seems unlikely I'd
> > >> take the plunge for a SATA solution and card since I'm happy to run
> > >> Avid on a Mac tower and don't think I'll ever really need a full-tilt
> > >> portable Avid.
> > >>
> > >> I surrender the ExpressCard but get a faster MacBook with a firewire
> > >> 800 port instead of the existing 400. Any thoughts about what others
> > >> would do, esp. weighing (yes, vague) future Avid editing options?
> > >>
> > >> Thanks in advance,
> > >>
> > >> Paul Dougherty
> > >>
> > >> p.s. In an age of belt-tightening I'm running MC soft 2.7 with OS
> > >> 10.4.11 on my G5 tower and had my MacBook mirroring that set-up, I'm
> > >> hoping to do the same with the new 2.53GHz
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> ------------------------------------
> > >>
> > >> Search the complete Avid-L archives at:
> > >>
> > >> <http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/
> > <http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/>>http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/
> > <http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/>
> > >>
> > >> The Avid L2, Where the Answers are.Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the complete Avid-L archives at:

http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/

The Avid L2, Where the Answers are.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment