Thursday, May 4, 2023

Re: [Avid-L2] OFF-TOPIC: Archiving Memories

Hi --

My plan, as cockeyed as it may seem, but based on the hardware & software that I've got:

The video source is VHS.  It's family stuff, and that's what we used.  (I also have 8mm & 16mm film (Dad was a filmmaker) but right now my concern is the flood of VHS's we have in the closets.  That, and I don't have a film chain.)   :-)

My plan is to hook my VHS deck to my computer running FCP7 and digitize everything into FCP, where it creates Quicktimes.  This process worked well with my entire book of work from WNBC where we had mastering everything to DVCPro -- I digitized everything through FCP and it all now lives on a couple of drives as QTs.

I imagine the h.264 would be an extra (time consuming) step but would save space.  I'm not sure that space will be an issue, so staying with QT and not compressing it would be a good option.

I also have a VHS-to-DVD deck, which is why I asked about the DVD-R option.  But I've also heard that DVD-R isn't particularly archival, so while in the short run it'd be easier to access and play, if the discs are going to die in 3 or 5 years, then yeah, that process would just be a waste of time...

...and I know nothing about blu-ray...

If there are any other options that I'm not considering or aware of, please let me know --

Thank you!

-- Sol


-------------------------------------------------
Sol Fischler
Editor: Image & Sound
914-525-2579


On Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 03:24:37 PM EDT, Jo's Mailinglists <lists@filter-media.net> wrote:


Pending the source I am not so sure why _archiving_is recommended here in H.264? I know I am in a thread with Bouke but… QT is a container, H.264 is a compression. 

So Quicktime as a container can hold a lot of different and especially for archival purposes, different compressions.

Again, pending the source…

my 2¢



On 4. May 2023, at 18:59, bouke <bouke@editb.nl> wrote:

QuickTime is NOT obsolete, QT player is, but the file format is not.
(But Mp4 and QT are VERY much alike if you don't want the fancy stuff, like QT ref…)

DVD is obsolete…

Archive to H264 in either QT or Mp4 and you'll be safe for the next 30 years.

Now, where did my latest post go?


Bouke / edit 'B

videotoolshed.com
Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+31 6 21817248
If you want to send me large files, please use:
https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/

On 4 May 2023, at 18:53, Sol Fischler via groups.io <sol.fischler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Off-topic I know, but:

In 2023, how does everyone archive their family home movies & tapes?  I'm interested in both digital and physical possible formats...
I know both Quicktime and DVD-R are obsolete, but are they still viable, and what are the alternatives?
Thanks!
-- Sol





No comments:

Post a Comment