Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] CPU cores, speed, number of... diminishing returns?

I don't follow the latest info anymore, but I got an amazing year-end deal from Lenovo a few years back.  I'm mostly just a bum now, and mostly run Resolve when I have worked the last two years, but the AMD 'threadripper' based p620 has been a GREAT machine, even without considering the low price.  No thunderbolt, but I have a mac laptop for the rare occasion I need to copy media off a tbolt.  

Alternatively, back when I had multiple edit bays and workstations, I was emailed the 'HP Remarketing' daily inventory.  Got great deals on a few killer machines (for their time) off that list over the years.  If you're not familiar, google around to find that and see if they have what you're looking for.

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
San Pedro, CA





On Dec 14, 2022, at 6:50 AM, Karl Knowles via groups.io <tech=knowlesvideo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I've been shopping for a replacement Dell/HP tower workstation for a while now.  I've read the Avid specifications and recommendations and have explored a number of Good, Better, Best options.  CPU speed over core count is prominently stated.  The balancing equation of speed and core count is a gray area.  I've also noted a number of single CPU systems being certified.

I recently started using a Dell 7760 I9 11th Gen laptop for editing and find it performs surprisingly well for everyday HD file-based editing.  I just ordered a Dell 7770 I9 12th Gen with even more horsepower and will compare that to the 7760.

My gut tells me I would like a tower workstation for the main edit suite, that's what I've used since Adrenaline.   Yet, when I build a custom Dell or HP tower I feel as though I'm piecing together dated tech.  Surprisingly not a single major OEM is offering native Thunderbolt support in their towers, and their optional TB boards are behind the curve.  Nor will they divulge if/when they will offer native onboard TB support.  The tower CPU options also seem to be lagging behind those found in their laptops.

My questions are:

Have CPU's reached a performance point where a single is sufficient and a dual setup doesn't justify the cost in non-effects heavy post?

Are towers even necessary any more for routine file-based editing?

Cheers,

Karl Knowles
Tallahassee, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment